Oak worktops- what do I seal them with?!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone help me?!

My oak worktops are about to be fitted in the next day or two and I still have nothing to oil them with.

Howdens who I bought the worktops with gave me some Rustic worktop oil but it says on the tin it gives a satin finish which panicked me a bit as I do not like the worktops in the showroom when they are shiny.

I really just want a matt finish, and dont want an oil which will make my worktops go a funny colour! Ive asked a couple of companies what to do and they keep saying why do you want to oil them, use varnish, but clearly that will make them ultra shiny!!

Im unsure about Danish oil as people have said it contains varnish therefore making them shiny, Tung oil because people have said it take days/weeks to dry!

Please could someone recommend a product to use, or even maybe a photo of a worktop with the product they have used?! I need to purchase something in the next couple of days/

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Sarah

We recently installed our kitchen with oak worktops, and the best thing to do is get some good quality Danish oil. Get a 2.5litre tin - I know it seems a lot - as you'll use it. The main thing is to make sure that the worktops are oiled properly before fitting to prevent warping/bowing/cracking etc.

I spent a good week doing ours (because I had that luxury of time) and what you need is :

A tin of good quality Danish oil
A soft brush (big wallpaper type makes it quicker) but has to be new
A large lint-free cloth
Fine grade sandpaper
Elbow grease! :LOL:

1. Clean-wipe the work top to get rid of any foreign dust/objects (takes a second)
2. Pour a generous amount of oil on the length of the worktop, and brush it over the edges (really important) and cover every inch of it
3. Let the oil soak in for about 15 minutes
4. Wipe the worktop down with the lint-free cloth until there is nothing left on the surface
5.Lightly sand the worktop - with the grain - with the sandpaper
6. Wipe the sanded top clean
7. Apply a second coat of oil with the brush , as before
8. Wait a few hours and then wipe residue off with the lint-free cloth
9. Lightly sand the worktop again
10. Wipe it clean (you can see where I'm going with this, can't you?)

I did this on our lengths of worktop about 4 times. Then, when the worktops are dry and fitted, the tops need oiled at least 2 times in the same way.

After a month, you have to oil, wipe, sand, wipe again . The worktops won't go shiny.

If you leave the oil to sit on TOO long, though, it WILL go shiny and sticky, and you'll have to sand it down and start again.

Oil just feeds the wood and makes it water-resistant. A good test to see if it's sealed properly is to drop water on the top surface (once it's dry of course) and see if it forms "bubbles". If it stays in little blobs, then that's a job well done

I plan on oiling ours every month for 3 months, then every 6 months. Paranoid that it'll be ruined, perhaps, but they look cracking - and not a shiny , varnished, glossy worktop in sight!

Hope that helps!

(The main idea given is to oil each side at least 3 times but overkill won't hurt them, just means more work but well worth the finish)

I'll take some piccies and post them later (never posted pics on here yet so not wholly sure I'll do it right first time)

Good luck!
:eek:)

Sorry, meant to add the Danish Oil I got was from Toolstation, I think. I've added an image to profile...still working on adding it to the post :confused:

Thanks for the reply, I think I may go for the Tung oil, as I am very concerned about it having a glossy finish

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't get a shiny finish with Danish oil or any oil. It would mean you haven't sanded it down which means it's sticky and won't work anyway. Good luck with it. (I've been told from various professional sources that Danish oil is superior but totally up to you) :)

From personal experience I can recommed Osmo Top Oil. This is a wax-oil blend specifically designed for use on hardwood worktops. Very easy to apply in just 2 or 3 coats, dries to a matt / very slightly polished finish. Excellent durability and water resistance. Easily recoated, though we have not had to do this yet.

I am a professional furniture maker and use Osmo finishes on all my projects. I have not yet found a better range of wood finishes. You should be able to find them at your local trade decorator's merchants; there are many online suppliers too. Compared to things like Danish oil the product is expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back