Best clear floor varnish/lacquer/oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

We are in the process of renovating our victorian terraced house and have sanded the floors on the ground floor which are old pine boards. We obviously need to seal them but i order to keep them light we would like a completely clear varnish/laquer/oil in order not to colour the boards at all. We have tried Osmo Clear Matt Oil which turns them quite orange, Bona Mega Clear with Primer which makes them look quite yellow and dulux diamond glaze clear with primer which also turns it quite yellow. Both the bona and the dulux say you can use them without the prmer and just do 3 coats in which case it colours it far less but everyone i have spoken to says this is a bad idea and you should always use primer, which makes sense as it seems to be much better sealed when you do.

I appreciate there is going to be a certain amount of colouration when you seal the floor but all of the options we have tried make it very yellow or orange neither of which look very nice. We could obviously stain it darker but would prefer to keep it as light as possible. Can anyone recommend any products that we could try to keep the lightest, most natural matt finish or is this just not possible if you want to seal it properly?

Thanks so much,

Dave

Sponsored Links
The pine floor boards are old ,so they are bruised and very thirsty so any thing you put on them soaks in like mad and gives colour to the wood,you could try this iv'e never done it so try a small scrap of boarding to sea what it looks like first dilute PVA glue say 5-1 water to glue give it a couple of coats this will stop the wood soaking the finish in and should be neutral looking and then for a finish dulux acrilic floor varnish but for your test piece try some cheap acrilic just to see what it looks like first, the dulux costs about £100 for 5 lts ,let me know how it goes

Hey everyone,

We are in the process of renovating our victorian terraced house and have sanded the floors on the ground floor which are old pine boards. We obviously need to seal them but i order to keep them light we would like a completely clear varnish/laquer/oil in order not to colour the boards at all. We have tried Osmo Clear Matt Oil which turns them quite orange, Bona Mega Clear with Primer which makes them look quite yellow and dulux diamond glaze clear with primer which also turns it quite yellow. Both the bona and the dulux say you can use them without the prmer and just do 3 coats in which case it colours it far less but everyone i have spoken to says this is a bad idea and you should always use primer, which makes sense as it seems to be much better sealed when you do.

I appreciate there is going to be a certain amount of colouration when you seal the floor but all of the options we have tried make it very yellow or orange neither of which look very nice. We could obviously stain it darker but would prefer to keep it as light as possible. Can anyone recommend any products that we could try to keep the lightest, most natural matt finish or is this just not possible if you want to seal it properly?

Thanks so much,

Dave

You seem to be overlooking the fact that pine is naturally yellow/orange in hue.
You would need to use a wood bleach first, to stand any chance of it staying light in colour when sealed.

harbourwoodwork: What you say about it soaking in makes sense but I would rather use a method that I know is as durable as possible so we have to redo it as little as possible so ideally would like something off the shelf if at all possible?

foxhole: I understand pine is naturally yellow/orange, i'm just trying to establish the best products to use in order to minimise this as different products make it more or less yellow/orange/brown etc and wanted to know what people had found most effective. The pine is already extremely light but you think we would need a wood bleach and then a sealant to keep it looking similar to how it is now? In which case what kind of wood bleach/sealant would you recommend?

If anyone else has any suggestions then i'd love to hear them!

Thanks,

Dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back