Best finish for pine shelves - dye plus varnish or beeswax?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have built some simple alcove shelves from 35mm pine boards and would like to know the best finish to use that will:
-enhance the natural look of the grain on the edges
-darken the wood to a medium brown (and hopefully prevent / mask any orange colouring that will presumably develop over time), and
-provide a non-gloss finish.

The shelves will mainly be used for books, photos etc but possibly also plants so need to be reasonably water repellent but not particularly hard-wearing.

As far as I can tell my options are water-based wood dye (Colron refined?) plus a water-based satin varnish, or beeswax (in which case should I use standard or the liquid stuff?), which I gather can be buffed to achieve the desired level of shine.

Please could someone advise what the pros / cons of these different products would be or, suggest something else that would do the job?

I should also mention that I want something that is relatively quick to apply (although I have already ruled out coloured varnish based on other forum posts)?

Many thanks for any help and sorry if this is answered elsewhere on the forum (I have looked but couldn't find).

Alec

Sponsored Links
You can get coloured Danish oil, ''antique pine'' would be ideal.Or a light oak.Will do the job with just two or three easy applications.

Thanks Foxhole, that's another one in the mix then.

Are you suggesting this because it is quicker to apply than wax or dye and varnish (having had quick look online, it doesn't sound much easier) or because the finish is better?

Much easier . dye can be patchy, suspended in oil that does not happen , simply wipe on with a cloth, few minutes to apply.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back