Best flat roofing felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I'm a complete newbie and was hoping to get some advise
I have a shop in London which has a flat roof with dimensions 20x42 foot. It desparately needs replacing and we're looking for good quality felt to do the job. As I have no clue about roofing I wanted to ask 3 questions:

1) whats the best felt to use? (brand,type)

2) how thick should the felt be?

3) how many layers should we use?

sorry about the dumb questions.. hope someone can help me out.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Euro polymer is a nice felt to lay, torches and bondswell and the capping sheet is one of the best ive used. Available from Alltype roofing in Plumstead.

Hello SASroofer

thank you for the recommendation. I will certainly look into them. I'm still trying to get a feel for what a good roofing felt should consist of.
From reading around I gather that flat roofs should always have stone chips and that green felt is better than black?

Am I right in this? Also are torch on felts better than other types?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes the timbers can catch fire very easily when laying torch-on felt.

Any type of torch-on will be fine.

It will have the pitch on it already and all you do is heat the felt as you lay it on the roof. Hence the fire risk

Grit finised roof's are old hat now, mineral capping sheets are now the common finish and imo the best.

Colour of the mineral makes no difference, really up to you which colour you want, although the charcoal grey is my favourite.

I have to say I dont reccommend you attempt to felt the roof yourself, this is a job for a professional, and you risk damaging your property and/or yourself if you try it yourself with no training.

In answer to your question, the best roofing felt is Bauder, however, its not available on the open market due to license required to install it. Any HT felt will do the job you require, but as SAS has pointed out, its a bit more involved than waving a gas gun over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back