Best glue/adhesive for plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, what the best glue/adhesive for joining plastic together, need to join a plastic together that has snapped off/broken into two?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
there are many many plastics with many many properties
more detail and pictures can help but often gluing plastics can be a non starter as the specific plastic is fully non glue able

See the pics.. not sure what type of plastic it is..part of the bottom base of a tower fan

PXL_20230518_234807418.jpgPXL_20230518_234649685.jpg

I tried standard super glue with no really success.. fell apart after a while

Sponsored Links
If there are voids in the design of base you could superglue then fill any voids with Fixall or similar glue which sets hard forming a stronger base.

Looking at the edge of that break, the outline looks a little powdery.
I've come across similar broken plastic, where the plasticiser has leached away, leaving the plastic powdery and very brittle.
As above you can try some reinforcement and super glue, or even epoxies. But if the base is getting brittle, I'm afraid this may just be a temporary fix.

Melt metal staple across crack. Sand smooth.
You can buy kits to do it like below.
No glue will stick that well enough.
Check this out! https://amzn.eu/d/iS9qhK2

Last edited:
as above its a bodge whatever you do
the tendency is minimum glue to do the job this will tend to fail so your 1mm bead along the repair line turns to 3 or 4mm the second time so starting with ugly metal staples as reinforcement on top off the 1mm bead
so sometimes a 2 or 3mm bead from the start will give the best chance

Have you thought of trying super glue and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda on the American websites) which could reinforce it underneath where it can't be seen.
You could also reinforce it with plastic across the join - maybe some strips of nylon zip tie?

I've tried super glue and soda on plastic. It's not that good on thin plastic that may get a slide force.

Turn the base over and look for a marking that indicates what kind of plastic it is, like "ABS". Without knowing what is it you'll be trialling and erroring a lot. Some plastics can be glued, some can be melted, some can't be repaired at all

If it's load bearing, it's not going to work. Make a new base from wood? MDF is very flat.

ABS can be glued with pipe solvent cement - the glue melts the plastic on both sides, causing it to fuse together and the end result is typically around as strong as the original plastic was.

The problem you'll have is if you've tried glueing it with something else already and failed, you've now got a surface contaminated with other glue remnants. These need to be removed first if they've formed a layer that won't melt with the solvent cement, which then means the mating surfaces might not be such a good fit.

If you're in that situation I'd clean up the surfaces without changing their shape as best you can, apply glue to one side then press and hold together for a minute (solvent glue works amazingly quickly) then, using some other ABS pieces sourced from elsewhere, glue them across the crack on the hidden part of the foot to provide extra reinforcement

Will sanding the edges to rub off the dried superglue work?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back