Best hinge for heavy timber gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've built a gate for the side of our house and its very heavy. Its framed using 38mm x 85mm timber, and 100mm x 22mm panels for the front. Overall its 1100mm wide and will be attached to a gate post anchored to a brick wall.

I'm trying to figure out what hinges will be best to use here, from what I've gathered a hook & band hinge is the best at about 500mm.

The issue I have though is that my post is only 47mm wide, and most of the hooks that come with these hinges are wider than that.

If I ignore that issue for a moment, how do I go about positioning the gate on the post. Should it be like the first example below or the second, and if so, do I need straight or cranked?

Also, if anyone can recommend a decent modern looking handle/latch that isn't a flower style one, please point me in that direction. I wouldn't mind an actual door handle if poss: https://www.simplydoorhandles.co.uk/manital-calla-door-handle-aq4cp

upload_2017-2-27_22-12-33.png

Sponsored Links
if you use cranked ones, it is easier to use surface mounted bolts because they will fit into holes drilled in the other post.

I have something similar. My hook plates are the same width as the side of the posts/frame, but of course the screw-holes are set in from the edge of the plate. If you were anxious you could angle the pilot holes slightly. The holes in the plates are countersunk but I used coach screws.

My gate is fixed like your lower picture. the gate comes towards me. if it was set like the upper picture you might have to plane more of a bevel on the opening side of your gate.

If you mean your posts are 47mm square I think that is too small. Mine is 225x50mm nominal to fit an opening in a 9inch wall. I have one in a fence using 75mm square with a head/lintel to brace the frame. Your frame may benefit from a head to prevent sideways forces tugging on the hinge post.

Mine has a mortice lock so I can lock it if I go out that way, plus bolts near the top and bottom. The lock is an old-style chubb with brass and stainless internals, so fairly resistant to weather. I only used two hinges but I think three would have been better (somebody kicked it soon after building). Or you could use a couple of barricade bars.

p.s.

If the wall permits it, fastening the post with studding, and a large washer and nut on each side of the wall, is more secure than any screw and plug, and will not shake loose.

For an outdoor gate I am sure you need a solid brass or stainless handle or knob. I use stainless screws as well. However ne'erdowells can use a knob as a step to climb over. A keyhole does not provide this luxury and you can put prickle strip on the top to avoid injuring cats.

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/door_furniture/door_knobs

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?SearchText=door+handles

Last edited:
A wheel on the bottom could reduce the load on the hinge side. Might not be your bag, but an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back