Best lighting for a room with no windows

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having an additional bedroom put into our house at the moment (2 storey extension) which leaves 1 of the old bedrooms without a window (may possibly looking to put a window in).

But for the meantime we are possibly looking to have it as cinema/playroom or a walk-in wardrobe. What do you guys would thing be the best lighting solution for a room without any windows?

The only solutions i could think of would either be some type of recessed lighting or a strip of lights running across the room. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Having an additional bedroom put into our house at the moment (2 storey extension) which leaves 1 of the old bedrooms without a window (may possibly looking to put a window in).
Is that allowed (as a 'habitable room')?
But for the meantime we are possibly looking to have it as cinema/playroom or a walk-in wardrobe. What do you guys would thing be the best lighting solution for a room without any windows?
maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that the lighting of a room without windows is any different from lighting a room which does have windows - at night there would be no difference.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: slow typing again!

yeah it wasnt going to be a habitble room as it was planned to be a room for storage and a walk-in wardrobe. But then we contemplated on the size of it and it can pretty much be a decently sized bedroom and would definetly pay for itself if we made it into a 'bedroom' so we are leaning towards that now.

but even with a window installed, it has to be obscure/stained glass because it is facing the side of another house so it will still lack some decent lighting. That sun tube idea is really good. i think thats what i will be looking for in addition to some powered lighting aswell

Sponsored Links
It would be closed as an habitable inner room and would need two separate ways to escape in the case of fire. It would also need sufficient ventilation through to outside, perhaps via another room.
Can't help re lighting though

yeah it wasnt going to be a habitble room as it was planned to be a room for storage and a walk-in wardrobe. But then we contemplated on the size of it and it can pretty much be a decently sized bedroom and would definetly pay for itself if we made it into a 'bedroom' so we are leaning towards that now.
What you are "leaning towards" sounds like a whole mess of Building Regulation contraventions.

Here's a plan:

Ask Building Control if you can do this. If you'd rather not, in case they say no, then don't do it. Simples.

If you ask, and they say "no", then don't do it. Simples.

Hey Ban,

Oh yeah we alredy crossed those bridges. they said if i dont put in a window then it can only be used as a storage/walk in wardrobe and a cinema room. If as an office/bedroom then will need the window in which we have already included in our plans and they have passed it.

We are just contemplating on what we want to do with the room due to the lighting situation. e.g. if we cant get much light in there then maybe no use to have the window and will give us the purpose for the room

Oh yeah we alredy crossed those bridges. they said if i dont put in a window then it can only be used as a storage/walk in wardrobe and a cinema room.
Seems straightforward enough. Don't put a window in and therefore not use it as a bedroom which you are leaning towards for financial reasons. Simples.

If as an office/bedroom then will need the window in which we have already included in our plans and they have passed it.
Seems straightforward enough. Put a window in and therefore use it as a bedroom which you are leaning towards for financial reasons. Simples.

We are just contemplating on what we want to do with the room due to the lighting situation. e.g. if we cant get much light in there then maybe no use to have the window and will give us the purpose for the room
As JW said, the window is un hareng saur - if you light the room so that it is lit OK when it is dark it will of necessity be lit OK when it is not dark but there is no window, or when it is not dark but there is a poor window.

it can pretty much be a decently sized bedroom and would definetly pay for itself if we made it into a 'bedroom'
It's your house, how does a bedroom which you don't need pay for itself?

Mind you, it's probably a better idea than a cinema next to a bedroom.

they said if i dont put in a window then it can only be used as a storage/walk in wardrobe and a cinema room.
I'm not sure who "they" are, but there's no building regs distinction between a cinema room and any other habitable room when it comes to windows. Put a bed in a cinema room and it's a bedroom anyway.
Maybe an estate agent would have stronger opinions on house room naming?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back