Best location for bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry but wanted to jump off the back of this topic if I may? Nope. Split by mod.

We've had a bathroom fan installed by builders who did our house and found first of all the fan was set to its low setting therefore not sucking enough of the steam out of the room - electrician came back and switched to 2nd speed so it was a max of 53m3/hr - still not up to the job

The fan was fitted directly to the ceiling plasterboard, about half a metre away from the shower head. I thought the extractor power might be an issue so have bought and refitted myself a new fan with 108m3/hr fan instead but wasn't getting any performance improvement out of it... had a look in the loft and discovered the ducting that had been attached was buried under a load of loft insulation and vaguely dropped by the eaves in the loft to blow out. I've uncovered the ducting now and just got it blowing straight into the loft - I know its very bad, but this is just a temporary measure for 2 days. The fan now performs as should do - fan will suck a piece of toilet paper and hold it in place but still not great at clearing the bathroom

I've got the builders coming back this week and want them to do the job properly - first off, should they fit over the shower head? Its a Zone 2 fan, IPx4 - I thought there was a regulation saying these should not be fitted within a certain distance of the shower? It also probably doesn't help that the shower is right next to the window...

Also should I get them to install a batten in the loft between joists for the fan to be installed to and duct should be run to a cut hole in the eaves that blows out into the air outside right? Not just vaguely somewhere into the eaves? I was a bit alarmed when the builder recommended not to have a duct at all on permanent basis and just blow the moisture and condensation directly into the loft... recipe for rotten timbers and damp?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
is there a 12mm gap bottom off the door to draw in air from the rest off the house??
if not shut all windows and inlet vents and crack the bathroom door open about 5mm

Yes i've checked - there's a 12mm gap bottom of the door, but we always have the window open when we use the shower etc. Should we keep it closed? No vents in the bathroom, just the extractor and it has the backdraft flaps on it too on the exhaust

try it in any combination yo like as theres no set rules
but try with the window tight shut and iff you have a second door behing a small area between house and bathroom crack that one open

Sponsored Links
Thanks @big-all - do you mean like a bedroom door? We have one right next to the bathroom door... is it to encourage further inflow INTO the bathroom to move the heavier air from the steam etc. into the line of the extractor?

unusual set up but i have a square hallway thats only 1.1x1.1m with 2 external and a kitchen as my bathroom is an extension off the kitchen in my terrace so needs a door cracked to draw air off the house
probably not a problem in your case but providing the room is warm there is no harm in trying -----ANYTHING(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back