Best material for fitted wardrobes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having fitted wardrobes and i've asked the carpenter to build the frame and doors to fit IKEA Pax interiors. That will give me loads of flexibility whilst keeping the fitted look. He suggested MDF, and has partially built one wardrobe (in spare room), but i've now realised they are a lot of work to paint - carpenter said 1.5-2 days: 2 x primer/undercoat, sand, then 2x top coat. Also the smell from just cutting the boards is quite apparent. Other half is very worried about the dust from sanding and paint smell and i am wondering whether there is a better alternative than MDF. My carpenter mentioned vinyl, but he wasn't very enthusiastic about it and pointed out that it is more expensive to buy and takes more time to fit. But we would save the money and hassle of painting/dust. Anyway, he suggested researching alternatives and letting him know what we want.

What do you guys think would be best?

Edit: i think the carpenter meant veneer not vinyl!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Should be quick and easy to paint, I use primer and then top coat. Quick drying around 20mins for both and applied with roller, very little sanding if done correctly.
I built interiors with mdf and fitted Ikea doors .less restrictive than using ready made carcass.

Sponsored Links
What about white melamine-faced MDF? Seems like only a 50% (or so) price premium. How would the cut edges be dealt with?

You can get iron on edging strips. Melamine faced MDF is what Sharps bedrooms tend to use.

Do you want it to look like melamine, or paint? They don't look the same.

You're probably going to be looking at this for years, so don't decide based on what might take a bit longer or smell slightly; choose the appearance you want and make that.

Re "veneer" vs "vinyl" - you can wrap wood with a vinyl film; this is what is done on many "high gloss" kitchen cabinet doors.
Or you could glue on some "real wood" veneer. What do you want it to look like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back