Built in Wardrobe: Cowboy Carpenter!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

We've had a carpenter leave us with a couple of issues after building a built in wardrobe and alcove unit....

The main one I'm trying to remedy is a gap between the wall and the frame (see photo album). The carpenter suggested getting in a plasterer to fill the gap and sand to blend in with the frame? I'm worried this will crack over time do to the wood changing shape and doors being opened and closed.

//www.diynot.com/network/1stBuyerDIYer/albums/

What is the best fix? Ideally I'd like it to blend in with the frame as we plan to paint the wardrobe the same colour as the walls.

Also I'm planning on painting the wardrobe myself. What primer, paint etc should I use on a mix of materials e.g. softwood, mdf, ply?

Thanks in advance for your help.....I don't know what I'd do without forums!

Cheers,
Chris

Sponsored Links
How wide is the gap? If it's up to about 5 or 6mm you might be able to caulk it - above that I'd have to agree that it needs something like a quadrant moulding.

On the finishing front you'll need to seal the MDF parts first. A couple of coats of thinned-down oil-based primer flatted back after each coat should stop the MDF from looking as rough as a bear's whatsit. Don'tIf you use a water-based primer coat on it (like an acrylic primer) you'll probably need to do a lot more sanding because the grain will rise. After sealing the MDF I'd just prime the lot with an acrylic primer (goes off in about an hour) and flat back. May need a secnd coat depending on finish, etc. Top coat can be anything you like - oil-based or acrylic gloss, eggshell, etc. At home I tend to use acrylic because it smells less and dries quickly rather than the 12 to 24 hours you need with oil-based paints. Won't give you the high gloss finish, though

BTW from what I can see it doesn't look like a bad job, so I think it is unfair to describe the guy as a cowboy. I do agree though, that he didn't quite finish the job.

heeelllooo and welcome 1stBuyerDIYer :D :D :D

i am a bit stunned you think thats a cowboy job??
what you have is what looks like a good professional job but not finished to your liking

now i wouldn't leave it with gaps but i suspect he is treating it as a decorators task hence his suggestions
what exactly was specified does it mention "making good"

Sponsored Links
Simple bit of quadrant will cover the gap, filler will crack and loosen next to a timber frame as it moves.
Can't understand why he did not run the same trim as is on the top all round, would have looked neat and could have been scribed to wall.

I guess cowboy is a bit harsh but I got messed around and he left without completing other jobs. We came to a mutually agreed figure for payment but you live and you learn.

Thanks for all the replies, really helpful.

The gap is 20mm at the top and goes down 2mm at the bottom. What quadrant moulding would you recommend?

Do you think Zinser 123 Primer is a good primer? I think at acrylic eggshell would be best. Would hardwearing emulsion be okay?

Really appreciate your help.

You can use emulsion but will need two or three coats of varnish to seal and protect from knocks.

Other than not completing the trim there is nothing Cowboy about the work

Perhaps its more a case of you and him not seeing eye to eye about things and the guy deciding he would be better off else where,

Plain 1/4 round sized to the widest part would do as well as anything else

Zinser is a fantastic Primer Quick drying ,Low odour, very easy to apply and sand

I agree, he should of finished the work, a few options here in my eyes for a quich fix , first is pump some no more nails in and set I back around a inch and filler over the top, then paint, or get a piece of 2"x .75 ish and screw it to the frame butted up to the wall plane it to butbup to the wall and then caulk the edge and paint itbrealy I unfinished and I would demand the tradesman comes back to finish I would never leave a job like that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back