Built in wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all :)

I am planning to have some built in wardrobes installed, And was hoping you could give me some adivce regarding price, length of job and method etc :p

Basically i want built in warbobes in 2 different seperate bedrooms.

One wardrobe 5m long and 2.4m high, which will comprise a wardrobe, a shelving unit around the chimney breast, then 2 more wardobes seperated by a gap for a double bed, and then cupborads above the wardrobes and spanning the gap between the wardrobes above the gap for the double bed, if you get me?

And the another single wardrobe 1.2m wide and 2.4m high.

I know its hard give an exact figure, but what sort of price am i looking at for the job, down into labour andtmaterials? and how long do you think it would take for them to complete the job? (if it helps with pricing i live in south wales)

Also if you not mind asnwering another couple of questions, what sort of material do you think is best? and what sort of construction? i.e would t be best to have them made out of MDF or plywood etc? or in timber frame?

Sorry for so many questions lol i hope you can help, all adivce appreciated

Cheers dd

Sponsored Links
hey guys :) anyone fancy offering me any advice on this? or if not then can anyone point me in the right direction for advice?

thanks

The questions you have are for the people doing the work. Get quotes locally , If you are not DIY 'ing what use is detailed instruction?

Sponsored Links
To foxhole,
I wanted some sort of idea on the price so i would know whether or not i could afford it right now, and also so that when i do speak to local people i could make sure i wasnt paying over the odds :p

Im not looking for detailed instructions, i gave info on the dimensions to give an idea to the of the size of the job to help with priceing it and get some sort of an idea how long it would take.

The reason i asked about which materials would be best, and if carcass made from sheet materials or a timber frame would be best, is because i am unsure about the specifics of each material and i have seen both construction methods used.

As a tradesman myself (altho granted a different trade), i know the more info you have the easier it is to price a job, so i tried to give as much relevant info as possible. I accept in each area things get priced differently, but tbh i find there isnt a massive difference and was just looking for some budget figures to work with :p

Tbh i dont see the inssue with asking such questions on here :D as isnt that the whole point of such forums? :p but thanks for your advice anyway :)

To ridgidraider,

Thanks mate i will have a look on google :)

Altho i was more interested to see what tradesmen had to say about which materials etc they think is best, and give me some ideas of cost etc :p

Thanks

The point of this forum is to offer advice, which I gave you, not provide pointless estimates.You did not provide any location so estimate would be even more pointless.You can pay hundreds or thousands for what you want depends on quality of finish and materials.
Come back with figures you obtain for local suppliers and you can get an opinion here, but that's all it will be.

Hi,

Last two wardrobe jobs I did were as follows:

One room with 1.2m corner robe and a run of 3.3m ish. They were 2.7m in height. Also had a separate tallboy and 2 bedside cabs. Spots and some other electrical work included.
These were quality robes with 18mm solid backs and all singing hinges and runners. It came to around £5000.

T'other was in two rooms and was cheapo B&Q robes (though the doorfronts themselves were decent quality). They both had corner robes and tallboys and one run was 2.8m ish the other was around 1.9m. Height was 2.4m. Again this included spots and were around £3000 in total.

These were both in the northeast.

Cant recall the mats/labour breakdown. If you decide to go for it dont be shy in asking for a discount....shy kids get no sweets afterall!

Just read your post again. Regarding materials they are generally made of MFC (melamine face chipboard). MDF could be used for some aspects of it but I would not personally use it. Design wise they come in different styles. I like the framed style with slightly smaller doors. than the robes. These can have a a 3x2 frame built with sections of the MFC attached to them forming a frame.

Best bet is to pop into some wardrobe suppliers and have a gander mate.

Cheers mate :)

Im not exactly sure about the fine details of a talboy etc but its good to get an idea to work off.

Going by your last couple of jobs, my job's dimensions sound about the 3k mark?

I have had quotes ranging from 2k - 4k (labour only) and they reckon the job will take approx 10 days.

Do you think that is about the going rate and right time frame for for 5 a 5m run, and a 1m run in a different room?

I would really love to hear what you professional boys think is a good price and time frame :p

Thanks

Cheers mate :)

Im not exactly sure about the fine details of a talboy etc but its good to get an idea to work off.

Going by your last couple of jobs, my job's dimensions sound about the 3k mark?

I have had quotes ranging from 2k - 4k (labour only) and they reckon the job will take approx 10 days.

Do you think that is about the going rate and right time frame for for 5 a 5m run, and a 1m run in a different room?

I would really love to hear what you professional boys think is a good price and time frame :p

Thanks

you really need to ask around more [more quotes]
what we think what you think will not give you an exact answer
we can only give an educated guess the local tradesmen give you an exact answer to the local rates
if you don't like what they suggest you look for cheaper you may be lowering your standards to cheaper materials and finish
its a balance set your standards and stick to it but expect to raise your price to the standard you want rather than force someone to reduce to the price your happy with

Hi big-all it is good to hear your thoughts on this as i remember you from the screwfix forums when i was active over there, a long time ago now though, so long in fact i cant even remember my log in details anymore. Anyway thats off the point a bit lol

I hear exactly what your saying, and i have had a couple more quotes since i last posted, so far the average price for the 5m run seems to be about £2000 on the labour (taking on average 10 days to finish).

I completely understand that the best that could be offered is an educated guess, but tbh that's all that i am looking for, im just curious what you boys roughly would charge and what you think is a far price. I appreciate prices vary from area to area etc but i dont feel they vary that dramatically and the time taken to do a job is the same amount of time wherever you are based. I also appreciate the type of material and quality of finish play a large factor, but im quite prepared to shell out for a decent finish and use which ever materials the tradesman doing the job recommends.

As said i know an exact price cant be given, but when i used to use the old forums, we used to have quite a few discussions like this about rough prices and day rates etc

So if you dont mind indulging me for a moment, do you feel £2000 and 10 days build time is fair for a 5m run of built in wardrobes?

Also what do you think is fair for a 1.2m run in a separate room?

screwfix is hardly worth the effort :rolleyes:

the format is dreadful not easy to scan through
i still go there though :D :D

Hello Donald,

£2000 for 10 days works is very reasonable, I would charge more than that, because I have to pay others to do the work! And I would charge vat and also extra for a drawing and for a site visit.

But then if something goes wrong we are there to help forever, if a door falls off we come and fix it, no matter how long.

I am not sure if we can put links here but here is what you would get if you lived in London from me www.customcarpentry.co.uk I use ...ou respond in your posts. Tristan Titeux http://www.customcarpentry.co.uk/
Twitter: @TristanTiteux

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back