Built in wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to build some built in wardrobes in our main bedroom.

They will be of a decent size, roughly 2.8m long x 2.3m high x 24" deep.

What would be the best wood to use for the internal structure? MDF?

If so, which thickness would you recommend to help prevent bowing etc. 9mm? 12mm?

The wardrobes will consist of 1 high shelf, total the full 2.8m in length, will probably make this up of 2 x 1.4m lengths. This will be fastened to the 3 external walls and have 2 upright supports breaking the wardrobe into 3 sections.

There will be a total of 5 hanging rails in different places and shelving along the bottom of about half of the wardrobe.

Anyway, the finer details can wait, just wanted some advice on which wood to use bearing in mind weight of clothes hanging etc.

Thanks for any help, ny questions please ask

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply foxhole

Are them pictures of wardrobes you have done?

I was looking at sliding doors but seemed to be priced around £1000 for size I'd need so was thinking of using a curtain pole and voile curtains.

Reason is I want to keep costs as low as possible due to a baby arriving in 4 months time. Hoping to complete project within a £250-£350 budget if possible.

Where is best place to source mdf? Any decent wholesalers? Or just b&q?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are a few I have done, if you keep the wardrobe dimension to 500mm, 600mm , 1000mm or 1200mm, you can fit doors from Ikea bedroom range as they come in 500mm and 600 mm wide. With a recent one I made I fitted five 500mm doors at £35 each and a mirror door at £50 which should be within your budget.
MDF is best cut to size for you to make transport easy and save time.
I use Selco at £15 a sheet [they do up to 4 cuts for free].
If you have a local timber merchant they can be cheaper than the DIY sheds.
The sliding doors in the pic were £350 including track from B&Q.
Only about two or three sheets of mdf needed depending on internal layout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back