Best method of connecting multiple earth and neutral wires

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You can get all kinds of large and small plastic enclosures at virtually all electrical wholesalers.

You could do with just the one enclosure, as it's more convenient than passing wires between boxes.

A plastic enclosure will make drilling holes in it easy, and you should use 20 mm cts glands where cables enter the box to act as a cable clamp. You could of course clip the cables to the wall, but it may be neater with the glands.

That current arrangement you have is not too bad, but it is going to be hard to see all the connections if you need to do some maintenance.

My main concern with your current arrangement is, have you earthed those metal boxes?

If you linked the two boxes with conduit you wouldn't have to worry about sheathing the cables where they pass between the boxes.

Oh you still go loads of room left in there lol !

And if joints were in a strip (rather than chopped) loads more!

On a serious note, if your having a thermostat and valve per floor, I put the junctions for them seperatly to the normal boiler wiring and bridge across the wires needed.

if your having a thermostat and valve per floor, I put the junctions for them separately to the normal boiler wiring and bridge across the wires needed.
Thanks, I've decided I'm either going to add two more boxes above the two that are there, so I have one box for boiler/underfloor heating, one for hot water, and two for each additional zone valve I'm adding, bridging between the boxes with live, neutral and switched live only. OR change them out for one large 9x9 inch box, have a row of connectors along the bottom for the existing boiler, hot water and underfloor heating manifold feeds, then separate rows of connectors above that for the additional zone valves/thermostats I'm adding in. Any preference?

Fit a single box: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BX963.html

Put in DIN rail. Use appropriate terminals. There's easily space for 30+ double terminals in a box like that.

I was actually going to go get the 9x9x3 galvanised one, but this is fine too. Can you recommend a wholesaler that sells din rail and modules in small quantities? I can only find it from RS online, and would rather just go buy some cause I'm in a hurry to get it done

Fit a single box: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BX963.html

Put in DIN rail. Use appropriate terminals. There's easily space for 30+ double terminals in a box like that.

I was actually going to go get the 9x9x3 galvanised one, but this is fine too. Can you recommend a wholesaler that sells din rail and modules in small quantities? I can only find it from RS online, and would rather just go buy some cause I'm in a hurry to get it done

DIN rail is easy, TLC keep it, along with nearly everyone else. As for the terminals.. RS off the top of my head, Farnell, and the like. I'm sure some of the sparkies here know of electrical wholesalers who keep them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back