Best method snap off kitchen handle screws to length?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought some handles for a new kitchen and they have come with "snap off" screws. What is the most effective method to snap the screws to length? I have tried using plyers but this seems to damage the thread.

9986_12.JPG

Sponsored Links
you are meant to nip them through at one of the "waist"

if it is too jagged, you can clean it up with a file. Try not to cut or file on a threaded part

If you can't manage the plier squeeze, grab the unwanted threads in a vice or grips, and use a junior hacksaw to cut through at the waist. ;)
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yep, vice(or something that will hold them steady) and hack saw, if you nip them of with snips, they fly all over the place.
It's best to cut them at a convenient spot on the blank bands, this will prevent damaging the thread.

Hacksaw halfway through and then snap off with pliers.

The way I do it for what it's worth.

Hacksaw held between my waist and something solid like a door frame and holding the scew at both ends move it up and down the blade.

Found it one day whilist bored. Sort of just sits there below my chest and above my unmentionables.

Run a nut onto the bolt before you cut it, and it will help straighten any mangled threads on the cut end when you remove it afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back