Removing a screw with a rotating bolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oven door handle snapped off with the screws still inside. I've managed to get the snapped off bits out of the handle but I'm struggling to get the remaining screws out of the oven door.

upload_2021-7-7_10-15-27.png

The brass surround outside the screw appear to be some sort of nut that freely rotates, so when I try to unscrew the screw, it just spins round and round.

This is a view of the nut, but it's too narrow for me to get a grip on with anything:

upload_2021-7-7_10-17-21.png

Top view of the assembly:

upload_2021-7-7_10-17-54.png

Any ideas how I can get this screw out?

Sponsored Links
Can you lever down that end plate as see a captive bolt moving? Perhaps stop that from spinning and the screw will undo? Alternatively, if you could buy new bolts from the manufacturer, you’ll see how they are fitted.

Brass looks like a washer not a nut as the screw secured the handle? Put a flat blade under screw head if it’s loose and prise out.

I would imagine that the brass surround is just a stand off that stops the space between the door and the inner skin collapsing when the screw is tightened into the handle. Can you not just unscrew the torx headed bolt which is presumably the other end of the snapped bolt?

Sponsored Links
The snapped thread looks brass to me. I wonder if that isn’t an insert/spacer made of brass with a brass thread that is part of the handle and the steel torx bolt screws into that? You need to stop whatever is spinning inside that bracket.

God, you're right, I'm an idiot. The brass bit isn't the same thing as the Torx screw, is it! Need more coffee. That should make things easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back