1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing a screw with a rotating bolt

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by DeusXM, 7 Jul 2021.

1. DeusXM

DeusXM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My oven door handle snapped off with the screws still inside. I've managed to get the snapped off bits out of the handle but I'm struggling to get the remaining screws out of the oven door.

upload_2021-7-7_10-15-27.png

The brass surround outside the screw appear to be some sort of nut that freely rotates, so when I try to unscrew the screw, it just spins round and round.

This is a view of the nut, but it's too narrow for me to get a grip on with anything:

upload_2021-7-7_10-17-21.png

Top view of the assembly:

upload_2021-7-7_10-17-54.png

Any ideas how I can get this screw out?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can you lever down that end plate as see a captive bolt moving? Perhaps stop that from spinning and the screw will undo? Alternatively, if you could buy new bolts from the manufacturer, you’ll see how they are fitted.

4. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Brass looks like a washer not a nut as the screw secured the handle? Put a flat blade under screw head if it’s loose and prise out.

5. Lower

Lower

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would imagine that the brass surround is just a stand off that stops the space between the door and the inner skin collapsing when the screw is tightened into the handle. Can you not just unscrew the torx headed bolt which is presumably the other end of the snapped bolt?

6. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The snapped thread looks brass to me. I wonder if that isn’t an insert/spacer made of brass with a brass thread that is part of the handle and the steel torx bolt screws into that? You need to stop whatever is spinning inside that bracket.

7. DeusXM

DeusXM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    God, you're right, I'm an idiot. The brass bit isn't the same thing as the Torx screw, is it! Need more coffee. That should make things easier.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sponsored Links