best method to foam uPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when i foam the gap between the window and brickwork it always end up with the foam coming out too much.

i appreciate that you’re supposed to only foam 50% depth and allow the expansion to do the rest but how is this best achieved in practise.

Sponsored Links
I've been using foam since it came out and I have still not mastered it. What I do is wet the area to be foamed squirt it in and cut the excess off later. I make sure if I am using it inside or outside I have prepared the area around where the foam is going, to make good with render or skim when the excess is cut off....

As roy c has said wet the area where you are going to apply the foam,this helps the foam cure whilst also stops it sticking to surfaces that you want to avoid.

Squirt in the foam and then as it starts to expand spray with water and this will stop the foam from protruding past where you want it to.If you put too much foam in and it does start to come out further than needed then i usually wait a while until it isn't too tacky and then i push it back(with gloves on,dampen finger tips first).

I use a hilti foam applicator and stay WELL clear of the normal canister types because with the hilti you can regulate flow and you get a much neater and controlled finish(IMHO).

Sponsored Links
many thanks Roy & Jaffa - spot on advice.

i do wet the surfaces but obviously don't take enough care and end up wetting the brick - i'll swop the washing up liquid bottle for a sprayer to get the water in more accurately.

i can then use same water sprayer to do as jaffa says to help stop the foam from protruding.

i think the foam applicator is also a must and will invest in one - i agree part of the problem must be in using the cans and not really being able to regulate the flow.

thanks for the help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back