Can you use expanding foam instead of Mortar ???

Sponsored Links
The builder said this morning that the sills would be dry packed with mortar - they had to fit the sills quickly when the window fitters turned up.

Does this sound reasonable?

You don't have to have plastic sills with plastic windows (they do look poor with those nice sandstone sills) but that's part of the initial measuring and sizing process so your options now are limited.

Sponsored Links
You don't have to have plastic sills with plastic windows (they do look poor with those nice sandstone sills) but that's part of the initial measuring and sizing process so your options now are limited.

The whole estate has been done like that - so these have been done the same to match!

Thankyou everyone for taking the time to reply. We will wait and see what they do now :)

The outer brick work is say 100mm deep, the window frame often 70mm deep. If the window is installed flush with the outside brickwork then this leaves 30mm of brick inside of the window frame.

If your internal plasterboard is attached to this; guess what happens when that brickwork at -3C meets your inside temp?
I might be wrong, but it doesn't look as though the window frame is flush with the outer skin?

The window frames are about 50mm in from the face of the bricks which I believe is OK

Yes and left about 20mm overlap over the cavity (y)

A quick update on this one.

The builders today pointed the out side joints on these sills.

I don't know how deep they went and they have not done the inside.

I am tempted to run a drill through to see how deep they have gone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back