Best method to remove rust from steel joists in cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for advice on the best method to remove rust and repaint steel joists in a small cellar.

House is a 2 bed back to back mid terrace house built 1860 (Budget end). Front door opens on to pavement. The property has a small cellar (Approx 4m x 1.8m = 8m2) under the kitchen which extends into the coal hole area under the pavement. The kitchen floor is made of stone flags. There is a solid floor below the lounge. The current paint on them may have lead in it.

I have done a bit of research and had a few quotes. The following methods have been suggested:
* Remove rust with grinder (? Wire brust attachment) and re-paint £350
* Sand blast and re-paint £500
* Remove paint and rust with chemicals, paint stripper, clean with white spirit, grind, etch primer, top coat £500
* Use wire brush. Tradesmen have said this will take too long.

I think the joists are steel, one tradesmen thought they might be made of cast iron. They are old railway sleepers.

I would appreciate any advice/suggestions. I am aware that the steel joists are very important.

Rainwater has been entering into the cellar via a coal shute cover with holes in it. I am planning to address this whilst maintaining ventilation to prevent them from rusting in future.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back