Cellar conversion, best method and contacts needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a 1860s end of terrace property with a relatively small cellar ~4mx4m. The cellar has access by concrete stairs from the kitchen and would make an ideal 4th bedroom/ Home cinema and music den

The room IS damp, the books which have been down there for a number of years have started to disintegrate and the rug which I put down over black plastic bags when we moved in is cold and damp to the touch (not wet as such).

One wall is a party wall with our next door neighbours and is dry, another is shielded by the stairs, however the others have suffered over time and the paint on them has blistered. Some of the walls are stone (ragstone?) and parts are brick. The wall to the front which has a window (12" light well from front garden), also has a coalhole (don't know if that matters.

The floor is made of bricks and seems to allow the damp up but I have never seen anything which could be described as standing water

I have heard so many different ideas on how to make this a habitable living area from so many sources that my head is spinning. I seem to remember someone on my street saying they had their done for ~£5000. Does anyone know the going rate or can recommend a company in the South East?

Cheers

MB

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
South East, recommended companies:
Epps Constructions in Ashford: 01233 621522 (Richard Epps or Trevor Leigh)
Lofting consultancy in Hythe: 01303 263370 (Neil Lofting)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back