Best option for clean water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are living in a place that has a cold water feed from a water storage tank that doesn't have a water byelaw kit, and therefore are not drinking the water from the cold tap. The main tap that is from the mains is a few flights of stairs away and we are filling up jugs of water in a brita water filter and bringing it up. I was wondering if we attached a water filter to the cold tap in our place would it make the water drinkable ?

I've been looking at reverse osmosis systems that fit under the sink - would this work and provide clean drinking water? The water that goes into the water tank is from the mains.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
why not ?

the mains water pipe runs to the tank
the pipe feeding the tap comes from the tank.
join the two together.

Sponsored Links
Water from an osmosis filter is generally not considered good drinking water. No other filter will get rid of microbes. The only tapwater that is considered ok to drink is mains water. A carbon filter will improve the taste, which is the only reason it is used for mains water.
You will either have to correct your plumbing, or keep lugging jugs.

Go back to whoever refurbished it and remind them, that under water regulations, at least the kitchen sink must be mains fed.

(The main tap that is from the mains is a few flights of stairs away and we are filling up jugs of water in a brita water filter and bringing it up)

i take it its a three storey town house

I was thinking more a utility room or an outside tap :rolleyes:

In Spain we drive 7 mile up into the hills and fill 5 gallon cans from a spring, because to drink the tap water is like committing suicide.

(The main tap that is from the mains is a few flights of stairs away and we are filling up jugs of water in a brita water filter and bringing it up)

i take it its a three storey town house

It's a 3 storey townhouse, which is now 4. They did a loft conversion and put the water tank in a housing on the new roof. The water comes from there and goes through a pump due to low pressure.

I think you guys are right - we've got to fix it at the source. i might find out how possible it is to replace the tank for a potable water one.

... i might find out how possible it is to replace the tank for a potable water one.
It isn't. Once the water has left the sealed and chlorinated environment, the chlorine disappears and microbes can (and will) grow an multiply. Leave it long enough, and the tank will get as murky as an unfiltered pond.

Go back to whoever refurbished it and remind them, that under water regulations, at least the kitchen sink must be mains fed.
Was the rule not that at least one tap has to be directly fed from the mains, usually the kitchen tap? I think I remember the way out from it being illegal to install a whole-house carbon filter, was to leave the utillity room direct mains fed, allowing the kitchen tap to be chlorine free.

... i might find out how possible it is to replace the tank for a potable water one.
It isn't. Once the water has left the sealed and chlorinated environment, the chlorine disappears and microbes can (and will) grow an multiply. Leave it long enough, and the tank will get as murky as an unfiltered pond.

You can buy sealed storage tanks, for potable water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back