Best option for internal insulation and plasterboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - first post so go easy!

I have a ground floor flat roof extension that I am renovating. It is built onto the gable of the main house and therefore has 3 external walls. The walls are cavity block built in around the mid 80's. Since moving in 3 years ago, I have had the cavity filled with bonded bead insulation. I want to improve the internal wall surface and re-wire the room with new electric sockets and install some new radiators. The existing walls are not in great condition and are painted render rather than finish skim. I have been advised that trying to skim onto the walls is not a good idea. Better to put up plasterboard. Currently, I have stripped out all the old electrics and plumbing and have took off old skirting so I just have bare walls. I would like to have a bit more insulation in the walls as it is a pretty cold room. Also need to route cables and pipework behind board . I would like to try and get some advice on best way of adding some insulation and suggested insulation thickness without losing too much space all around. I initially thought of building stud work all around and cutting rigid insulation to fit in between. I was thinking of around 40mm insulation. This is quite a lot of work and maybe over the top? Would I be better off using a plastboard/insulation all in one product and 'dot and dabbing'? Any advice greatfully received. I have got a relative primed to do the work and although he has done quite a lot of general building work, he has never called the shots on what to do as far as this situation is concerned.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/buildi...lation-and-plasterboard.365607/#ixzz2TumERrNY

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back