Best option to fix floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello more experienced than me people

I have a 1950s ex local authority Terrace

Upstairs the walls are grey block built on top of the floorboards on a footer plate.

We have a number of floorboards that need replacing- problem is the size is not made anymore. 13cm wide by 12mm thick.

It would be impossible to replace all boards with thicker ones without removing the walls.

It’s a right pain.

I am thinking only way would be to either have some wood cut to size or overlay with ply.

Any suggestions ? Or recommendations thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Post a pic but I very much doubt the floor is 12mm thick. It would be bouncier than a trampoline. And ex local authority terrace from the 50s will prob be built more solid than a new build today. More likely 18 or 20mm thick boards. I may be wrong on this one but I also doubt that a block wall is built directly on top of the floor boards. It may look like it is but it probably is just stopping short. Check your sizes and post back. If you are using carpets then you can probably just cut out the bad boards and replace with chipboard sections to patch up.

Replace with 12mm plywood cut down then go over the whole floor with 9mm plywood

I may be wrong on this one but I also doubt that a block wall is built directly on top of the floor boards. It may look like it is but it probably is just stopping short.

There was a super lightweight block, around 2.5" thick, which could built directly onto bare floorboards. The idea predated stud-work and plasterboard, and needed no structural wall below it, to give support.

Sponsored Links
Yeh that maybe right. . wether or not the existing floor is 12mm or not is the first item to be determined.

Hi thank you for getting back to me. Was able to lift carpet and have a good look

You’re right the boards are 22mm thick 13cm wide. Joists 35cm center to center.
Managed to find some at correct depth but a bit wide so will cut down to size.

The walls are on footer boards on top of the floor boards. Nice solid house that’s for sure. :)

Looks like we are good for now. Thanks again for getting back to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back