Best option to level wonky floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just ripped up all the carpet to prep for new carpet. The house is an old converted barn with nothing level.

A number of the chipboard corners are at different levels. Maybe 5mm tops. No actual movement in the board.

Is it better to rip up, pack with spacers and put down new board or will something like decorators chalk be OK?

New carpet will be thinkish pile with underlay.

Previous owner used wine box cardboard to take up the gaps

Sponsored Links
Is it better to rip up, pack with spacers and put down new board or will something like decorators chalk be OK?
Better than what? No one on here knows exactly what your problem is. Uneven floor boards will not show through a brand new carpet, but may show up when the carpets start to age. Can you not take a belt sander to the peaks?

Yes, they did show up through old carpet.

I could sand the opposing edges down but that would create a pit which you'd also see I'd have thought.

Basically, the floor is uneven and I want to level it.

Basically, the floor is uneven and I want to level it.
Remove the floor boards - level the joists - re-fix new boards.

You can either faff about with builders' lines and varying thicknesses of packing material, i.e. 4mm ply etc.
Or...
Fix a sister joist along side the existing dodgy joists, but level. This method will depend largely upon the amount of services (cables, pipes etc), that are passing along the tops or through the existing floor joists.

Sponsored Links
Our 1980s property has that crappy chipboard boards. Over time it sags and squeaks and all sorts.
What we did was rip up the whole lot; fit 3x2 battens between every joist at the board joint positions and intervals between but most importantly, all at a new and correct level across the whole room. Use a long spirit level for flatness and levelness, in all directions. Lengths of existing joists that were low, we packed out with long strips of 'shims' (slithers of the 3x2 cut at varying thicknesses of 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5mm etc). Then screw down as normal.

The result, a floor that's stable, flat, level and does not squeak. Happy days!

If you are doing the carpet yourself, you could add additional underlay to raise the low spots. Use multiple layers to raise the height. Taping them down with cello tape or masking tape should be ok. Won't work if you need to put heavy furniture on it.

This is what I've opted for. It's general corners where there is a height gap. There's no (new / current) movement, I've added new screws to all squeaky parts.

I drowned it in chalk, dragged a straight edge over it and think this will be OK.

Fitters back in two weeks so plenty time to dry.

Attachments

• IMG_20231111_090155.jpg
    IMG_20231111_090155.jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20231111_090141.jpg
    IMG_20231111_090141.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 35
This is what I've opted for. It's general corners where there is a height gap. There's no (new / current) movement, I've added new screws to all squeaky parts.

I drowned it in chalk, dragged a straight edge over it and think this will be OK.

Fitters back in two weeks so plenty time to dry.
That’s OSB not chipboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back