Best pipe size for cold mains and layout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old lead pipe mains supply (probably 22ish) after the meter it's 15mm, feeds a sink and dishwasher and then splits to feed downstairs bathroom in 22mm and combi boiler in 15mm.

Seen several topics on here about issues with shower pressure being affected by other system loads, what is the best practice here?

Should the cold feed be looped (a lot like an electrical ring circuit) to prevent lower cold water pressure at the boiler if say the washing machine and shower are running together? i.e Tee the main cold after the meter and send a run up to join where the current 15mm feed to the boiler goes upstairs and distributing even pressure to the different zones? Some people seem to suggest this.

Secondly for pipe sizes would it be best to have the cold supply between the meter and existing 22mm branch to the bathroom also in 22mm? With 15mm coming off to appliances and sinks? There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the posts I have read?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back