Pipe Sizeing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have recently bought a 1930's 3 bed terraced house.
A new Gas combi boiler was professionally fitted in the loft in 2005. (Mains pressure)

I'm currently replacing some of the CH pipework because it seems too small. The whole house (9 radiators - not sure how many BTUs) is running off 15mm pipework from the boiler. I've replaced the "backbone" in 22mm pipe so that now from the boiler we have 22mm pipe that splits off to 15mm in one direction to feed the 4 top floor rads and also splits off in the other direction, again in 15mm, to feed the 5 bottom floor Rads.

We are also in the process of installing a new bathroom and kitchen, and am wondering about the pipe sizes that should be used.

Currently, for the hot water coming from the boiler, there is 15mm pipe which increases to 22mm after approx 300mm and goes down the wall to the bath. There is a T that splits off in 15mm to feed the hand basin.
The cold water feed into the boiler is 15mm pipe.
The cold water feed for the Bath is also 15mm, but has been increased to 22mm as it leaves the loft. A 15mm T goes off to the hand basin.

We want to redo all the pipework (to hide it under the floor) so I'm wondering what is the best practice for the pipe sizes?
I've read that with mains pressure, you only need 15mm pipes to the bath / handbasin, however I don't want to do this and find it's wrong.

We will be having a shower over the bath with a combi bath / shower mixer (pull the knob to make the shower flow) so want decent pressure for the shower, and would prefer not to lose pressure or get scolded / frozen if someone uses the water in another part of the house.

My plan was to run a new 22mm "backbone" for the cold water feeding into the boiler and also 22mm to feed the bath. The 22mm backbone would then split into 15mm feeds for the hand basin, toilet, kitchen sink, washing machine and dishwasher.
Same for the Hot water. 22mm backbone feeding from the boiler to the bath, then splitting off in 15mm feeds for the hand basin, kitchen sink etc etc

Does anyone have any comments / suggestions...
Am I wasting my time? Should I just use 15mm the whole way?
Let me know if you need more (or less!) info...

Cheers
Trent

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

We have recently bought a 1930's 3 bed terraced house.
A new Gas combi boiler was professionally fitted in the loft in 2005. (Mains pressure)

I'm currently replacing some of the CH pipework because it seems too small. The whole house (9 radiators - not sure how many BTUs) is running off 15mm pipework from the boiler. I've replaced the "backbone" in 22mm pipe so that now from the boiler we have 22mm pipe that splits off to 15mm in one direction to feed the 4 top floor rads and also splits off in the other direction, again in 15mm, to feed the 5 bottom floor Rads.

We are also in the process of installing a new bathroom and kitchen, and am wondering about the pipe sizes that should be used.

Currently, for the hot water coming from the boiler, there is 15mm pipe which increases to 22mm after approx 300mm and goes down the wall to the bath. There is a T that splits off in 15mm to feed the hand basin.
The cold water feed into the boiler is 15mm pipe.
The cold water feed for the Bath is also 15mm, but has been increased to 22mm as it leaves the loft. A 15mm T goes off to the hand basin.

We want to redo all the pipework (to hide it under the floor) so I'm wondering what is the best practice for the pipe sizes?
I've read that with mains pressure, you only need 15mm pipes to the bath / handbasin, however I don't want to do this and find it's wrong.

We will be having a shower over the bath with a combi bath / shower mixer (pull the knob to make the shower flow) so want decent pressure for the shower, and would prefer not to lose pressure or get scolded / frozen if someone uses the water in another part of the house.

My plan was to run a new 22mm "backbone" for the cold water feeding into the boiler and also 22mm to feed the bath. The 22mm backbone would then split into 15mm feeds for the hand basin, toilet, kitchen sink, washing machine and dishwasher.
Same for the Hot water. 22mm backbone feeding from the boiler to the bath, then splitting off in 15mm feeds for the hand basin, kitchen sink etc etc

Does anyone have any comments / suggestions...
Am I wasting my time? Should I just use 15mm the whole way?
Let me know if you need more (or less!) info...

Cheers
Trent

15mm - sorry couldn't resist the quote button :LOL:

Cool... Thanks - That saves me a load of work!

I assume the 22mm existing pipes are from the days when the house had a Header tank supplying the water...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back