Best place for central heating thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the present time, my lounge warms up to 20c with the door closed, with the rest of the house around 15c. I'm about to have a new boiler and have the choice of the room thermostat in the lounge or hall (never had one before). If I put it in the lounge, will it cut out in the rest of the house when that room comes up to temperature, or can I prevent this by turning the radiators stats up? Alternatively, it can go in the hall but I'd only want it around 15c there, so can I get the lounge warmer than this if needs be?

Sponsored Links
If you only want it to be 15º in the hall you would be better fitting the stat in the lounge as the heating will never come on. Good for the gas bills tho.

The lounge is where you are sitting, so it makes sense to control the temperature there.

The normal practice is not to have a trv on the radiator in the room where the thermostat is located.
If the radiators have been correctly sized and balanced the temperatures in the other rooms should take care of themselves.
Ofcourse when they have trv's fitted then they should be ok anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back