Best place for Materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am new to the forum but have been lurking in the background for a while. We have planning approved for a 1st floor side extension, ground floor rear, part double story & loft conversion on my 1950s Semi in Oxfordshire.

We have a builder in place but I will be purchasing most of the materials. M&E will be done by a friend. I have used Jewsons Build Aviator to cost up the materials and the materials are coming in at around 80-90k.

Just wondering is there any particular place that people have used for materials or would highly recommend. As the current cost is quite high, I need to try and save on as much as possible, wherever possible.

Thanks in advance
Yasser

Sponsored Links
At that sort of value it is well worth ringing around the local tmber yards and builder's merchants to see what they can offer by way of discount for volume (ask for the sales rep/sales manager and ask if they can open an a cash account for you), but do involve your builder as he may know of better suppliers as well as possibly being able to warn you off suppliers who are unreliable/poor quality/poor value. Remember, the cheapest supplier isn't always the best

As a joiner I have always been a bit leery if people supplying their own materials - this is partly because people often get you the dead amount required with no allowance for wastage or damaged/warped stock or anything else for that matter, or worse they buy you the wrong material or terminay warped stuff, or the wrong grade, etc - so keep your builder involved every step of the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back