What's best flooring material, upstairs on 400mm joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to lay an upstairs floor in a dry outbuilding. The joist spacing is 400mm. Total area is 52 sq m. There is no floor at present.

I'd like to use a sheet material for speed - chipboard or plywood?

T&G edges would be nice, if this means I don't have to cut boards to end on joists?

Can anyone tell me what material and what thickness is best.

Many thanks Phil.

Sponsored Links
I would avoid both woodchip and ply. Ply has shot up in price recently and you will have a lot of waste end matching to a joist. Woodchip should never have been invented, it's cheap but will squeak !! all day long. Why not use pine T&G flooring in either 19mm or 22mm.

You never said what finish you were after, carpet, vinyl, wood etc. That might help you decide.

thanks for the reply mac.

As this is an outbuilding, I'm not planning to finish the floor with anything, though I might put some rugs on it. It will only get light use.

I've laid pine floorboards before and it takes a while. I'm hoping by using a sheet material I can get it laid in a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back