Flooring onto bare joists

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am taking up a horrible chipboard floor in a bedroom. The joists are at 16" centres (406mm)

I have seen hardwood 3-strip flooring, T&G all round, sold in the places that sell Laminate and Engineered flooring, in 1220mm lengths, which would fit nicely across 3 joists. I like the look of it.

However it is 15mm thick which is a bit thinner than usual. Chipboard flooring is usually 1220mm wide, and 18mm thick, but not as strong or rigid.

One of my chums tells me that as the T&G is all round, and the boards will be staggered, they will not suffer from unsuppoprted short joints like chipboard does. I don't know how right he is.

Can I use this flooring straight onto the joists? I don't want to lay thick ply underneath, but will probably use a resilient underlay to reduce noise.

Sponsored Links
Think you better read this: Solid floors - what to note

The box can see 1220mm, 9 times out of 10 the box contain random lengths with hardly any 1220mm in there.
15mm is not load-bearing anyway, so you first have to install load bearing 18mm plywood.

If every board connect with at least 3 joists you don't have to end on a joist for the joint, then your friend is right about the staggering

I looked in the box, all the boards are 1220 long as specified on the label. They are made of solid strips seemingly laminated together and then machined to size.

Do you mean that 15mm hardwood is not loadbearing, but 18mm chipboard is? Why?

I wouldn't fit 18mm ply and 15mm boards as well. It will be ridiculously thick and expemsive.

Do you mean that 15mm hardwood is not loadbearing, but 18mm chipboard is? Why?

I wouldn't fit 18mm ply and 15mm boards as well. It will be ridiculously thick and expemsive.

15mm is not strong enough to bear a load when installed over joists. 18mm chipboard I would not recommend, 18mm plywood would be best.

Other option: buy 20 - 21mm wood-engineered boards. You'll have to have a load bearing structures, no two ways about it!

Sponsored Links
haven't seen them in my local timber merchant or DIY/buiders sheds :(

the old floor is 18mm chip and most of it hasn't broken.

haven't seen them in my local timber merchant or DIY/buiders sheds :(
Strange, we get ours from the local Travis Perkins - have to call upfront though to check their stock situation.

Cheaper than B&Q normally

no, I can easily get 18mm flooring ply. I meant, I haven't seen 20 - 21mm wood-engineered boards

Most of the hardwood flooring I've seen is in mixed-length packs, and I want minimum 1220mm

ah, the proper stuff. too dear for me though.

Ther must be a reason the stuff I saw was so cheap. It was Parawood "solid" 4-strip, 5 boards pack, 1250x160x15mm at only £15 per sq m

you can see why I was tempted, nice and thick for the price of a laminate.

Parawood - rather soft (also known as rubberwood or hevea)

But it does sound nice - on first impressions ;) (Like laminated real wood look flooring)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back