Soundproofing suspended flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a room above the living room and because the flooring is really thin-6mm hardboard and 22mm floorboards- all the noise from living room is going through and is quite annoying sometimes. That's why I bought some 15mm acoustic underlay, hoping that the noise will be reduced. I'm going to remove the actual flooring, put 18mm plywood straight onto te joists, then the acoustic underlay, T&G chipboard and carpet. The thing is that the flooring thickness would be 55mm not including the carpet, when the flooring thickness in the other rooms is 22 at the moment. Should I try to level the other rooms with the one able the living room or should I leave them the way they are?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Are you going to put Rockwall (or similar) between the joists whilst you have it all up anyway?

Sponsored Links
Here is a url to British Gypsum's White Book, I know that's not the material you have, but believe me all it's competitors are playing catch up to this definitive information guide. A little bit of lateral thinking and you'll be fine...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back