glued or click engineered oak floor: which is quieter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had advice from 2 carpenters, both experienced. One says I should lay click system engineered oak flooring of at least 18mm with acoustic underlay in my flat, on top of screwed down floor quality chipboard. He says glued is noisier as it tends to move more after a short while.
The other says glued is better, 15mm is ok and 8mm acoustic underlay sufficient.

I currently have a tatty old carpet, so have no idea who's right. It's a flat, so there are downstairs neighbours to consider, but can't/won't go with more carpet due to both allergies and to the neighbours' collective refusal to do anything serious and ongoing about a moth infestation. Am not going to buy the moths a new £££ dinner!
Floor is for lounge, kitchen area and passage, about 50m2.

Any tips on where to buy the floor and also the acoustic underlay much appreciated. I've been reading until I'm square eyed on the subject and am stuck. Americans seem to use cork underlay for soundproofing, but I think in the UK it's acoustic underlay?

thank you

Sponsored Links
A floated click or glued floor will be as noisy as each other.

A solid floor fixed to the subfloor will be quieter then a floated floor.

Check the deeds to your property,many flats will have it stipulated that wood flooring etc cannot be fitted due to transfer of noise even on a solid, fixed floor.

Most flooring suppliers can supply a fibrebpard underlay within specs of the floor you are buying (usually no more than 4-6mm thick)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back