Solid or engineered oak to ply subfloor or existing boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If this has been answered elsewhere I apologise for asking again. I've done some searches and can't quite find the answer.

I'm planning to lay oak flooring in 2 first floor bedrooms. Existing floorboards are pretty wrecked (having been cut numerous times through history). In any event I'm planning to lift the existing boards so that I can lay down some acoustic insulation (soundblocker quilt to be exact).

Aesthetically, I want to lay the new boards in the same direction as the existing boards but I also want to have as much sound insulation from the TV room below as is possible (within reason!).

1. If I put the existing floorboards back (patching up and securing as necessary) and then lay an acoustic underlay over the boards, can I lay 15mm engineered boards in the same direction as the existing boards.

Although I've found an engineered board "that will do" I've seen some solid boards which I much prefer and they tend to be cheaper.

2. I'm presuming that I can't lay solid boards in the same direction as the existing floorboards and as I want to increase the acoustic insulation I do not want to lay directly on the joists. Option 2 is to lay an 18mm ply subfloor and then lay solid oak flooring above.

(a) Can you or can you not float solid oak flooring. This is where my research seems to be throwing up conflicting results. This would be my ideal (unless what I now say is wrong) as it would enable me to lay an acoustic underlay over the subfloor and reduce the impact vibrations from nailing (which I fear may have adverse consequences on my lathe and plaster ceilings below).

(b) If I can't float the solid oak then I guess I'd be nailing it down. Although common sense is not to bother with an underlay could one still be installed?

Best method for nailing seems to be secret nailing using a portanailer but does anyone know where I can hire one with the compressed air in London NW. I can't find it anywhere!

Sorry for the long post and many thanks for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can float solid oak flooring, had around 200 square m in our office, till a few dishwasher leaks ruined the lot. :cry:

Didn't you note all the advice you were given for this post a few months back?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can float solid oak flooring, had around 200 square m in our office, till a few dishwasher leaks ruined the lot. :cry:
You cannot float a solid Oak floor in all circumstances. It depends on the room, underfloor AND the solid oak floor type.

You cannot float a solid Oak floor in all circumstances. It depends on the room, underfloor AND the solid oak floor type.

The proposal is for 20mm thick 6" wide and 1.2-2.4m long solid oak T & G boards to be floated on a joist overlaid 18mm OSB subfloor (overlain with suitable underlay. Room is a first floor bedroom with no underfloor heating and one wall radiator.

Manufacturer says the floor can be floated. If it goes pear shaped, I should be able to sue!

How wide is the room? (That's the only missing piece of info, all the other info indicates it is possible to float - if executed correctly)

The expansion gap you need to have all around the perimeter of the floor - and that also means at doorposts, fireplaces etc - should be at least 16 - 18mm.

Did you find a compressed air nailer?? - I am after hiring one as well. Seems that no one does them, they are all the manual variety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back