sound boards underneath underlay/carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have any horror stories or success stories with these?

Short story even shorter...upstairs neighbour, apartment converted long before Building regs...impact sound is BAD. I persuaded him to get decent thick underlay (tredaire red, good heavy underlay) and its helped very slightly but as his flat is currently vacant I wanted to get in there and install something more significant.

I have seen a number of different solid panel-based solution, usually variants of 20mm+ chipboard/MDF/cementboard tongue and groove boards with foam or felt layers on the base. These go straight under the existing underlay onto the floor, (separated from the walls by a 5mm foam strip to prevent the impact sound flanking from the floor to the walls)

The only bit I don't get is..how does the carpet fit? The acoustics panels are not intended to be glued or nailed to the floor, the whole point is they are "decoupled", and the suppliers say the carpet grippers can just be glued to the actual sound panels but as they are not "fixed" to the subfloor I'm not sure how this can work without carpet/underlay shifting...?

Sponsored Links
No chance of going the other way and installing a false ceiling in your place of soundbloc board or similar onto resillient bars, then?

I would but I'm the basement flat and the ceiling are pretty low as is! I did actually do this in one room - iso mounts, green glue, sound bloc etc - but it didn't really make a difference at all for impact noise as it travels to the walls from adjoining rooms above and to the sides. Plus lost a good 4 inches of ceiling. So I thought I'd try dissipating the footfall at source...might just try it in one room first and stick a ramp at the threshold...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back