Best position for a shower drain in wet room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommendations on the best position for a wet room drain and type i.e. linear drain or centre round / square type? Best to position in the centre right under the ceiling head shower or further away towards the shower valve so that water drains away from you?

How to ensure that the capacity of the drain type will adequately get rid of the water so that you're not standing in a puddle of water because it is not draining away fast enough. There seems to be some inexpensive centre drains on amazon for sub £20, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here with it being so cheap?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DM...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Stainles...P6JM9FGYERZ&psc=1&refRID=EPRPHXF8ZP6JM9FGYERZ

Sponsored Links
Use a premade former, these will then also come with associated drain pieces all designed to work together.

I can recommend abacus. Schulter also do a more involved system that works with the other KERDI bits.

I’m not able to use one as I was going to use wet UFH rigid mats I’ve put them through out the whole house and mine will be a bespoke size.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any recommendations on the best position for a wet room drain and type i.e. linear drain or centre round / square type? Best to position in the centre right under the ceiling head shower or further away towards the shower valve so that water drains away from you?
Depends, is this an assisted needs and does the customer have any balance/disability considerations? If so then the drain would be placed where it and the fall, would have an minimum impact to stable accessibility.

If not then use a grate directly below the shower.

Waste flow needs to exceed the shower output by at least 20% but the absolute key to it not being overwhelmed is a high flow/low resistance waste/trap, the fall on the waste pipe and the waste kept clean. As it's a wet room there is usually limited underfloor space and I have had to raise the floor height in a few occasions to allow a good fall to be set on the pipe run. You want 45mm min per metre fall on the pipe, I've found the min fall @ ~20mm isn't enough as the water can sometimes struggle to overcome the trap seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back