How to remove shower waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've got a leak from a shower waste so I'm going to have to take out a section of the ceiling below (oh joy) to repair. Given the location of the water mark on the ceiling below, I'm reasonably sure that the leak is coming from the trap. The trap in question is one like this type:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanitary-S...ZW4K8TAMTXR&psc=1&refRID=KM2XNAR6JZW4K8TAMTXR

From above I can see that the top section has some silicone sealing it. I'm guessing there will be silicon on the bottom section as well (not sure as haven't cut hole in the ceiling yet).
Does anyone have any tips for how to unscrew the trap in order to remove it because the silicone will be acting like a glue, holding it in place against the shower tray making it very difficult to turn it. I don't mind damaging the waste trap as they're cheap to replace, but whatever method used to get it off I need to be careful not to scratch the shower tray.

Any tips much appreciated
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Silicon isn't that strong, if you can get an assistant to hold the top section in place whilst you rotate the base, it shouldn't put up too much resistance. Check first though, the leak is coming from the top seal and not the outlet!

In essence that trap is pretty much a clone of the McAlpine shower traps, usually there is a plastic key/spanner that fits inside the upper assembly - they have what they call a tool - it is then used to tighten and loosen the top, once removed the trap cup should just drop aways from the bottom of the shower tray.

If the seal is leaking then it may be this top section just needs tightened.

Sponsored Links
OK so its fixed. I didn't need to take the trap off in the end - the leak was coming from the outlet (as Hugh Jaleak mentioned) - it hadn't been tightened and was really loose. So an easy fix. Just got to patch up the kitchen ceiling now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back