Shower trap - to silicone or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to fit the trap to a stone shower tray. The trap screws together and sandwiches the stone tray between two cream coloured rubber rings.

Is it best practice to silicone either side of these rubber rings, or simply rely on the rubber itself?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
I don't normally bother, it should be fine. Try it. If it leaks, take it apart again, dry it off and use a bit of silicone.

Thanks Pete. I'll take another look at the bottom of the shower tray casting - I'm pretty sure it looks smooth and would seal against the rubber well.

i always silicon both sides of the washer & the waste inside the tray

Sponsored Links
i always silicon both sides of the washer & the waste inside the tray
Ditto. Although it shouldn't really be necessary and is probably overkill to do so, since the shower trap is a right pest to get to after the floor's back down and accessibility via unscrewing the grill ain't quite satisfactory, it seems a sensible thing to do.

It's one of those things. You'll find some plumbers do, some plumbers don't. Either way really.

Just don't over do it with silicone if you do, because sometimes it can make the rubber washer slip out of place when tightening.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back