Best Primer/Gloss for old Glossed Skirting/Doors - Starting again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All.

We are currently starting to restart glossing our house (only moved in around circa 1 year a go in a 12 year old house), and so we have pre-glossed skirting and doors (the doors however are very smooth like they have been pre-painted with spray for the builders).

We have recently used Valspar trade primer and Grown Satin Gloss, but after having to use about 5-6 coats (brushed and roller), we have found out that they are not compatible.
We found this out on a different door we had put in, pre-primmed (and re-primmed), and the Crown paint was not sitting on it properly at all.

So back to the beginning, and perhaps a little further advice on preparing skirts/doors already glossed.

I guess first of all, what would people's methods be for preparing skirting/doors which have been glossed for about 12 years?
What tools would you recommend?

Secondly, what would be people's recommendation for the best primer and gloss (Satin/Matt finish) for such a situation?

After spending quite some time already on three rooms / four days (at the advice of B&Q), I really want to get it right.

Hoping to buy this weekend, so any advise is really appreciated.

TIA.

Chris

Sponsored Links
I can offer you some advice but need to ask a couple of questions

Why are you using primer? That is for bare wood.
Have you been using water based or oil based paint so far?
You asked about the best gloss (satin/matt) They are three completely different finishes.

Take a look at Zinsser B-I-N.

It's shellac-based primer and will adhere just about anything giving you a good key to work with. I'd make sure you at least rub down the surface to to make smooth of imperfections.

Sponsored Links
You originally said the paint was incompatible. As you mention that you first applied a primer/undercoat, it sounds like it was a water based product and that it where the problem lies. Also, the link you gave me for the satin is for a quick drying product.

It is likely that your existing paintwork is oil based, and therefore you should NEVER apply a water based product on top unless it is thoroughly rubbed down to remove all traces of the existing gloss, because it won't key to the existing surface.

Therefore, I would suggest you use an oil based undercoat and then a top coat of oil based satinwood. To make it easier to paint the doors, use a 4 inch foam rollersleeve and then 'lay off' with a good quality brush to achieve a smooth finish.

If you need any more advice just let me know

Thanks everyone.
Seems like a couple of issues. Wrong advice by B&Q plus some prep work not properly done (also because of the advice).

Thanks again, and will see how we get on.

Never listen to what the staff at B&Q say, they are not trained painters !! With good prep, painting over oil painted woodwork is perfectly possible. As mentioned, a good sanding is the main thing, I then use a product called " Gloss Off" which chemically etches the surface ready for painting. A coat of Zinsser B-I-N or Coverstain can be used as an adhesion primer first then two coats of water based satin and you will have a nice finish. I use water based all the time now as the Oil based gloss and satin will yellow too quickly. Smells too much and takes ages to dry.

Hi Robbie UK, that is sound advice... would you mind tell us which water based trade quality paint you recommend for skirting?? Delux trade, leyland??? I will get it and paint the whole house :)

I am currently using Armstead Satin and gloss which is made by Dulux, The Dulux dec centre sells it and also Screwfix does.

Take a look at Zinsser B-I-N.

It's shellac-based primer and will adhere just about anything giving you a good key to work with. I'd make sure you at least rub down the surface to to make smooth of imperfections.

BIN is a great product but it dries too quickly to paint a door with it. You would never be able to hand paint it fast enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back