Best product and method to fill fine plaster cracks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a bit of repainting and we have a few fine cracks in the plaster which we would like to fill.

What's the easiest and most effective way to do this, so it can be painted over nicely.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Paul are you spot priming the filler? Sounds like the filler is drawing too much water out the paint

Used to use red devil but i hate the smell when rubbing it down and airborne particles seem "fluffy" and easily and uncomfortably ingested (yes i should be waring a mask).

As a fine surface filler toupret cachet bleu is very good, for deeper fills i use cachet blanc or tx110 (think thats what its called). A lot of decs use easifill which is ok but i find it slow drying.

Paul are you spot priming the filler? Sounds like the filler is drawing too much water out the paint

Used to use red devil but i hate the smell when rubbing it down and airborne particles seem "fluffy" and easily and uncomfortably ingested (yes i should be waring a mask).

As a fine surface filler toupret cachet bleu is very good, for deeper fills i use cachet blanc or tx110 (think thats what its called). A lot of decs use easifill which is ok but i find it slow drying.

Just using it for small holes, rawl plugs, chips etc.

No matter how many times we sand it down (lightly or not) and repaint (many coats) it still crazes.

Could be worth adding a drop of water to the filler?, those pre mixed can dry out a bit over time. Spot priming with gardz may well stop the crazing but at the end of the day its a PITA and easier to change brands.

I'm in the same position - I'm going to try this:

http://www.polycell.co.uk/product/polycell-3-in-1-basecoat/

If it's just the odd one or two cracks it shouldn't work out too expensive...

Thats no use to the OP - he wants to FILL cracks, not cover larger areas.

Surely this would be easier though. Here's the blurb:

Containing Polyfilla technology, the formulation not only covers hairline cracks, stains, patches and strong colours but also permanently stops them from reappearing – providing the perfect foundation before you paint.

Very strange the paint crazing :confused: try dabbing over fills with Zinnser BIN - just like treating wood knots

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back