Best replacement intercom handset - any foolproof suggetions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The buzzer has gone on a vintage 1980s intercom - the rest of it works fine so wanted to just change the handset.

Can anyone recommend something that would work with this wiring?

There are 6 wires (this must include the power supply). There are two further black wires (shown) which lead to the buzzer itself.

Want to avoid having to have the whole building re-done!

Very grateful for any advice.

H

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 388
Sponsored Links
If the speech through the handset works then it might be quicker to replace only the buzzer. A picture of the buzzer might help to identify what type it is and whether there is an equivalent. Also the manufacturer's name and type for the handset.

Sponsored Links
It's got an "E" on the logo - the back doesn't give a name - couple of photos attached.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

H

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 417
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 766
@ Bernard good suggestion. I had thought the same although all the big DIY chains (B&Q etc) don't seem to sell components. Is there anywhere you'd recommend?

Ensign used Briton handsets .... Post picture of the buzzer and sizes, been repairing door entry systems for over 25 years , most buzzers will work but having the space to fit it inside the intercom handset is another issue !

Your other option is to fit this at the side of the handset ...... eBay 111742422439
Or doorentrydirect. Sell them at around £7...

Last edited:
Thanks Bernard - I got one from them but unfortunately not one that fits or is audible (they suggested 12V).

@sparkymarka I've attached a picture of the original buzzer (about 1cm wide) - do you know if anything like this still exists? Alternatively do you know of a new handset that I could buy and wire up to the rest of the system?

my bad. the buzzer is hanging at the bottom - I unplugged the right black wire when I was trying to test it (it was in no. 7 before).

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 350
I take it you push the receiver in to open the door ( no separate button on the case ? ) if so then 90% sure it's an old bitron handset was used in SRS entry systems aswell .

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
@sparkymarka Yes it is - it took me a while to work it out as the handset has never been wired up to open the door (we still use the yale latch) but just for speaking and buzzing (speaking still works). The button that is depressed when the handset is hung up has a logo of a key next to it. So I think you are right. Do you know of any manufacturers / models that might work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back