Best resolution TV for Freeview SD/HD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We only use Freeview for our TV, but need to get a new set.

We're looking at 50" maximum and don't want to spend a fortune, however most are now 4k and I've read that SD might look crap at this size/resolution. Is that true?

So would it be better to stick with a 1080 set, such as this? https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/lg-49lk5900pla.html

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It all depends how good the scaling is that expands an SD resolution signal up to HD or UHK (4K) res.

In simple maths terms it's about where the money is spent. The more money that goes in to the panel to pay for UHD resolution then the less is left for stuff such as scaling chips; so at the same price point a 1080p set could be the better choice if you watch a lot of SD.

You've highted Richers. How about arranging a demo to see 1st hand? Check first if they have an aerial feed to the TVs so you don't have a wasted trip.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, on each one please press the THANKS button which appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons.

I don’t know much about tv's but won’t 4k only play 4K if that’s what it’s broadcast at? Anyway, we have a 40” Panasonic tv in the lounge and only yesterday we bought another Panasonic for upstairs (24”) and I really like having freeview play built in - it makes it much more convenient when looking for programmes that you want to see that have been broadcast in the last 7 days. Have a look at this one. https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...VQ7DtCh0YFgPoEAQYBCABEgJeWPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Mind you, when our son comes round and we're watching say, BBC, he always says " you’re not watching in HD", changes it, and says "that’s much better". I can’t see any difference! Maybe my eyes need testing? :whistle:

Thanks for the replies.

@Lucid

I did have a word with our local richer sounds store, but at the moment they have no feed to compare signals.
The next nearest (where they do) is quite a hike, and of course currys/pcworld only seem to show hi-res loops!

RS did mention about the upscaling capabilities, but recommendations were heading towards £1k (such as the sony 9 series) and we don't spend enough screen time to justify that.
(although an investment in a entry level Avantree DAC has brought the sound back to life on the soon to be updated TV via an old technics amp!)

@Motman

The reason I was looking at the LG was a dedicated Prime link - the only (limited) source at the moment for 4k for us due to family insisting on Amazon account!

Sponsored Links
On the Panasonic’s, if you press the home button, you get a page of apps that you put on there yourself so it’s just a matter of pressing 'home' then 'prime' to be into your Amazon prime account. The Panasonic’s also have a dedicated Netflix button but to be honest, it just saves you one button press!

This is what I mean by Freeview play. One press of the guide button and you get this screen up then just scroll back to the day you want and then down to the programme (in this example) the past 7 days of BBC 1. Choose ITV to do the same on that channel etc.

With a little time and effort, and a suitable USB flash drive, it's possible to put some clips off your own DVDs on to something small and portable that will play on most TVs.

Also, an Amazon Firestick turns any brand of TV in to a smart TV. What's more, it's more likely to work better than the TV apps, and more reliably, and be better supported so it'll keep on working for far longer. In the latest releases, there's a HD version and a 4K version now too. Both work on 1080p and 4K TVs, but obviously only the 4K one gives access to 4K services.

I just picked up an Amazon 4K Firestick on Black Friday sale. It works really well.

Anyway, most TVs have a media player function, so files stored on a USB drive can be played. Do you have some DVD films and a laptop with a DVD rom drive?

I've found that the quality of files put on to a USB flash drive varies according to the codec used, so not sure that would help evaluating the quality of freeview display.

Also freeview channels themselves seem to vary in quality, but since we probably only watch 10 or so it would be useful to flick between those to see which resolution TV would be best for our requirements.

Yes, the CODEC and the compression level can make a noticeable difference to the quality of any ripped video file. I ripped all my DVDs through a free-to-use program that stored them in identical quality to the original discs. That's probably better than you're going to get from any Freeview SD transmission.

More agressive compression, and (if possible) converting to interlaced rather than progressive scan would make a fairer comparison.

You could take in a DVD player, or even Freeview hard drive PVR on which you had recorded some TV clips. I guess it hinges on how serious you are about finding out for real what the TVs you're viewing in- store are like with real world pictures.

I try to ensure the plex app is available on my tv’s, lets me stream my movie collection from my computer.
Most movies I download are available as 720 or 1080 resolution.
If you have older tv’s a cheap option is too buy a decent Blu-ray player which will have all the apps on you might find on an new tv at a fraction of the cost.

I also used Black Friday to replace TV, but it really is like closing ones eyes and sticking in a pin on a page of TV's. Until you have bought the set, you really don't know how it will work.

I have found today that I can view the program guide using grace note on the on the tablet, once set up all seems to work well, however I tried so many apps before I found the one I am now using, and there are so many things to go wrong.

I don't think anyone would spend the time and effort working out what it works with and how it works for all TV's. The app I used has a really poor report, I assume the user also wanted to connect to these units where you just speak to them.

However I have hard drives with so many films on them likely I could watch them for a few years, when they run out also loads of DVD's. We still watch TV but not a clue why.

Mind you, when our son comes round and we're watching say, BBC, he always says " you’re not watching in HD", changes it, and says "that’s much better". I can’t see any difference! Maybe my eyes need testing? :whistle:

Yes lots of people seem to do that. But if you can't tell the difference you are either too far away or your eyes need testing.

If you are using files with HD audio, be careful on some of the cheaper UHD TVs as, they often wont play it. Its not a problem if your streaming server can down scale, but annoying if a lot of your content is HD Audio. I personally prefer the picture quality of the Panasonics in this price range.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back