Freeview HD box recommendation needed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to get a Freeview HD TV box with HDMI output in order to hook up TV aerial signal to a projector.
Not that bothered about recording facilities, but a decent EPG and possibly freeview play would be good.

There are some cheapies out there but are they any good?
Ideally I don't want to spend too much as it will be just for occasional use.

Recommendations would be appreciated, or indeed any alternatives.
(I have a firestick 4k, but the free live TV apps appear to be SD)

Sponsored Links
I'd recommend visiting Richer Sounds for a starter, and demo'ing some options. Their staff are pretty knowledgeable ime.

You haven't defined a budget, so answering the question is a little tricky. The Netgem box is meant to be good for a Freeview Play device. Amazon has it at £50.

I know you said you don't need a recorder, but s/h Youview boxes are definitely worth a look. My rationale for this is simple. Rather that trying to find a cheap box that's reasonable, why not go for a box that's actually very good but ordinarily way over your budget, and then cut down the cost by purchasing used. Facebook selling groups and Gumtree and Freecycle are the places to start looking.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button. It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

You haven't defined a budget, so answering the question is a little tricky. The Netgem box is meant to be good for a Freeview Play device. Amazon has it at £50.
That'll be around the rough budget I was looking at/hoping for (y)

The Netgem didn't come up in my earlier search for some reason.

I had a simple Humax HD box (FOX T2) previously which I found did everything I wanted (except Freeview Play), but it has just died...
(EPG wasn't great, but it was getting on a bit)

So the Netgem may well be a cheap replacement.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back