best route for kitchen socket cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am just about to lay the cable for my kitchen sockets and I just wondered what the best practice was.

1) Cables routed from ceiling to socket up again across and down to next socket.
2) Cables from the floor up to socket then down, across and up to next socket.
3) Cables from floor or ceiling to socket and the horizontally to next socket and so on.
I would have thought that number 3 had the least chance of anything being screwed into it and you can also judged where your cables are.
Any advice would be appreciated :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hello CM1,

All 3 methods you mention are fine, if cabling on a 'solid' floor then I would use steel conduit for mechanical protection, so maybe this seems the most difficult in your position.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

Your new circuit will of course have RCD protection.

As you have said that your work is being 'checked' and going through part p etc rah rah rah... Then the electrician who is signing the test sheets should be aware of how you are cabling, and inspect the 'job' as you go.
Can you not ask him, he may be able to see something we cannot ??

Ed

Thanks for the quick reply. I will consult an electrician. I did think of getting everything ready first before inviting an electrician but now I realise they should be included in the design stage. :D

Sponsored Links
The three stages of electrical works are

Design, installation and testing

Most registered electricians are only able to certify works they have done themselves.

Some may be flexible where the punter does some of the grunt work.
I would want to be involved at all three stages if I were signing an installation certificate. Especially if I then was certifying that I did the works and that it complies with Building Regulations.

I am not interested in certifying anything unless I was involved from the start. Better get dialling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back