Best seal for wet room wall and floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had our master room en-suit done as wet room, but found the joint of shower area wall and floor cracked, I think it's bad preparation so the floor moved/ sagged so the grout cracked?

Anyway I used some bathroom sealant from BQ but got black moulds in 3 months time. I'm going to remove the seal but what would be the best solution to seal the crack and not to grow mould so quickly? Water proof grout but not flexible so might crack if the floor further sags? Is LTP grout protector a better solution in this case?

Sponsored Links
You can't just rely on a silicone seal with a wet room - it needs to be properly tanked (waterproofed) before tiling to prevent leakage in the situation you now have. Any sealant will be a bodge - the only proper solution is to remove tiles from the wall & floor, tank everything and retike

You can't just rely on a silicone seal with a wet room - it needs to be properly tanked (waterproofed) before tiling to prevent leakage in the situation you now have. Any sealant will be a bodge - the only proper solution is to remove tiles from the wall & floor, tank everything and retike

Hi sorry I didn't make it clear, I think my builder did tank it - I saw him painted the shower area with black materials and he said that was for waterproofing. Then the tiling. Now the crack is the grout between the wall and floor, about 2mm gap I guess. I 'm not sure the cause of it but didn't want to let the water goes under the tile even I know there's the waterproof layer underneath. So I used sealant but result was not good. I'm looking to clean it and re-seal the crack, should I used grout to fill the gap then sealant or that grout protect on top of it?

Sponsored Links
usually when its all being installed the installer will have an idea of future movement between tray and wall,they have seen the installation :cautious:

if movement is unfortunately unavoidable between the wall-tray transition join,just use a decent low-mid modulus sanitary silicone and expect to change it every few years.

if there is no movement between the tray and tiles,use a 2 part epoxy grout (y)

just teething problems,Enjoy your shower :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back