Best smoke alarms when renovating including a rewire/replaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help... I've been reading reviews of smoke alarms and getting nowhere.

We have a 1900s terraced house in Wales that we're renovating.
We're having to re-wire, plaster and decorate throughout so now is the time to install mains smoke alarms if we are going to have them...

This is where my knowledge seems to stop.
Everything I read recommends a different solution.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on whether we want a long-life battery or mains-powered smoke alarms?
Are any particular brands that are known to be reliable?

Really appreciate any tips - we have a baby on the way in November and my other half is naturally nesting and worrying about all sorts so getting this sorted would limit the things she can wake me up worrying about.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Battery ones are okay if normal small house.

Mains if you have multiple stories (3 or more)..

Another vote for AICO.
If you are down south, TLC have them at a better price than DIY outlets.
Also be careful and get them from good named suppliers. They have a10year lifetime sticker on them and I have seen (eBay) selling them with only 1 year left or removing date sticker.

If you do go mains, get the silencer and test button. Makes it easier to test.

As above, but for the kitchen, get a raise of rise of temperature alarm so that it isn't triggered when you burn the toast.

Interlinked (wireless frequency) might be advisable if, for example, the alarm sensor in the kitchen extension triggers but you can't hear it in the attic conversion.

+1 for TLC, I live in west london but don't drive, so I "often" use their website.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone.
I've ordered a couple of Aico EI3016 now.

Really appreciate the suggestions.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back