Best solution for an INDOORS pattern imprinted concrete....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello boys and girls.

So I left my dad alone for 2 weeks during the refurb of a house which was to be rented out (and I've since bought for myself), and during these two weeks he was convinced by a rather dodgy bloke that it was a good idea to put down a pattern imprinted concrete floor - in my bathroom and kitchen. Needless to say its godawful and impossible to clean. Worse still the guy that laid it turned out to be a big of a nightmare, and its completely uneven - when we get out of the shower, all the water runs to one corner and sits there...

Anyway, I reckon its going to cost a bomb to lift it up, rescreed and tile. I don't want to screed over the top of it because the floor height is already about 2 cm above that of the adjoining front room floor. I was just going to paint it with latex floor paint and then at least it would look better, but it occurred to me I could lay lino. I've not done that before, has anyone any thoughts on whether this would be a good/bad idea? Will the lino stand up to the uneven base (for at least a short period) ?

ta

Sponsored Links
You mean cusion floor not lino ? It may last a short while but eventually show through and if your floor isn't level,, look pretty bad anyway.

Use a screed at 3mm first, it won't make much difference if the floor is already 20mm higher than the rest. Then cusionfloor.

Well seeing you asked....

Cushion floor is sheet vinyl, man made flooring if you like, whereas lino (short for linoleum) is made from the oil of a linum tree, hence the name.
You often see lino in old buildings as black & white tiles!!

Either way, cushion floor needs a smooth flat surface to last but you might get away with it for a while if the sub-floor doesn't have any sharp high ridges..

Sponsored Links
I suppose it is,, i still call it lino out of habit but there is a distinct difference.

You've probably seen lino or cushion floor laid straight over floorboards and quite quickly the pattern of the floorboards starts to show through the vinyl. It will happen if you lay it over a surface like you've shown.

Like i say it should be laid over hardboard, ply or screed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back