Best Sound Insulation

• Thread starter sparkyspike
  • Start date
S

sparkyspike

We have a thin party wall with our neighbours and need to improve the sound insulation. What is the best insulation to use? I've only heard of Rocksil - is this the right stuff? And will a cavity fill also be a solution?

Sponsored Links
Problem is that what is good for high frequency sound is not so good for low frequency sound. Good sound walls are therefore made up of several elements with differing properties.

Assuming your existing walls are medium density masonry the most efficient addition will probably be an air gap and a layer layer of high density mineral wool. E.g. a 100mm stud and 50mm Rockwool flexi. This should be enclosed within another high density panel - 2 layers 15mm soundcheck is the standard spec.

Something like solution 1 on this Rockwool brochure.

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/graphics/RW-GB-implementation/brochures/SoundPro_E1_Change.pdf

Thanks, this is a useful link, particularly regarding using independent studwork with an air break. I'll do this in the lounge. This isn't going to work on the staircase though (which runs up the party wall). Will I be wasting my time in missing out the air break and pinning rockwool directly to the wall under single plasterboard?

Sometime ago on here someone used sand:!:

A gap on top of the plasterboard for the sand then finish off using a coving.

I have no idea but the poster swear by it :!:

It may take a while to find it on the search for the topic

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I've followed the links and ended up at www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk They seem to have everything. Except sand! (Sand would have to be totally dry I suppose. Trouble is you'd lose the air gap.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back