Best time to stain decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we have a log cabin with wooden decking outside at the front

The decking is currently un-stained and the type with the grooves that run the lengths of the decking panels. With the weather constantly raining, the decking has been getting soaked -

Is it bad to leave it un-stained and untreated? I don't foresee there being a run of dry weather any time soon where the decking will dry out completely as we are heading into the winter months. Is the best option to leave it until summer next year and then stain it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The problem is it gets colder/frostier at night on the warm days, so best to cover it with plastic sheeting and stain it next Spring.

Blup

Decking oil , you only need a couple of dry days. I would not cover as it encourages mould due to lack of ventilation .

Sponsored Links
Problem is the decking doesn't get the sun and just doesn't seem to be drying... doesn't it need to be completely dry for oiling or staining?

Will the wood likely rot if I leave it until spring next year?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back