Best to leave it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this forum and while i'm all in favour of "having a go", I do think in some cases it would be better if some people did not. Some of the questions asked lead me to conclude that some people havn't got a clue.

Some of the questions asked in the electricity section are worring, these people should NOT be attempting these things and could end up doing some serious damage.

Sponsored Links
tell me something i dont know. also with regard to plumbing it clearly states "before asking a question" and what do we get? my boiler wont work help please

Marvelous

fitter said:
Some of the questions asked lead me to conclude that some people havn't got a clue.
Yes, I agreed with you but at least they ask question here hoping the expert's to guide them in the right direction.

Sorry to disagree, you cannot be guided with electricity, you have to know what you are doing, if you have not got a clue as some of the questions indicate, then you should leave it alone. Possibly more so with boilers.

Sponsored Links
Yes agreed, if the electrician expert's here felt it was dangerous for you to carry out the work then I'm sure they will tell you so. I agreed with you 100% but you're never going to stop these people having a go. The one I find worrying is when they don't ask. I do wonder sometime if we're giving out too much advice !

I'm not a electrician but I have supply power to my summerhouse and workshop with the help & advice of what materials to buy from these wonderful people on this forum, then I got the electrician to connect the SWA to my C/Unit and passed my work with flying colour ;)

It is great that more people are willing to have a go.
This forum is one of the best ideas I've seen for awhile. Without this type of thing how does the average person get information.

The biggest problem is running before you can walk. I am a kitchen fitter and have lost count the amount of times I have got the job of finishing a project that seemed so easy to start with.

Another problem is the person who puts his own kitchen in and gets pleasing results, this can turn him into an expert which qualifies him to tell everyone he meets how easy it was and in the worst case start charging others to install theirs.

In a good year I fit 45-50 kitchens and I still come across the odd one that causes far too much head scatching.

This forum has been great for me.

Yes there are things I just won't touch but it is suprising what you can do with help and advice.

I was faced with paying for a new combi boiler last month when with the help and expert advice I recieved I was able to fix the problem for less than six pounds.

No I am not going to mess with the mains gas or electricity but I wouldnt have a problem at moving a radiator, putting in a new wall socket or showing the wife the correct way to strip wall paper.

fitter said:
I am new to this forum and while i'm all in favour of "having a go", I do think in some cases it would be better if some people did not. Some of the questions asked lead me to conclude that some people havn't got a clue.

Some of the questions asked in the electricity section are worring, these people should NOT be attempting these things and could end up doing some serious damage.

Someone with sense at last :D

Thanks for that but if I had sense I would not work for the general public.

fitter said:
Thanks for that but if I had sense I would not work for the general public.

Yep but you have to grin and bear it I'm afraid :confused:

But saying that, there are some instances where it is a pleasure to work for them :D

Yes that's true by and large most people are ok to work for, trouble is you remember the b**stards more clearly and for a lot longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back