General rant....your opinion

you are right, it hasn't "shut me up" but unfortunately YOU missed my point, I never said that i would use an extension lead, if you look in the afore mentioned topic (that's topic, not post) I merely stated that there is another way to supply an outbuilding (garge in this case)
I also said that i wasn't going to mention what it was since although it works (which it does)I also stated that it was unethical, but some joker figured it it out and posted it(which is why this thread is going on so long.)

As I mentioned it is YOU that have got it wrong, i agree with loftus in that yes some people have the idea that to bodge things is the norm, but no sir not me.

I think that although these forums are usefull they are very "dangerous" since most who post will take the reply to be correct, most of the time it is, but as i mentioned the end user may get the wrong idea and do something wrong, was it not me that mentioned about how much current an extension lead can safley carry when un wound, was it not me who mentioned that it can carry less current when not fully un wound, NO sir it is YOU that are barking up the wrong treee, i for one know what you can and can not safley do, was it not me who pointed out that Americans are posting here (most of the English being ignorant thought it was just for them) i just choose not to say too much in regarding giving too much information, since i have seen as no doubt Loftus has what goes wrong when some one "has a go" themselves.

I also thought that you may like to look here
//www.diynot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1365

This is another typical example of what i mean by ignorance and other countries posting,

I could give you more, just try looking through the posts they are there.

I think that these forums should be SUSPENDED, untill all the changes that are going to be made are implimented, yes i know that this will be "un helpfull" but then it could be that everyone has their chosen name, country and category of expertise listed, (yes i know the odd joker will try and circum navigate this)but then we should get replies that can be relied upon (but that also means you could take legal action against the poster for wrong information) which brings me back to my first point i started this thread with.

To show i bear no ill (especially to Loftus) I would like to point out that the web address he has given is in error (sorry loftus it is, trust me)

It should be http://www.electrics.me.uk

Sponsored Links
david go and do a bit of diy and stop interfering, let people get on with what they want to do..

Thanks David for telling me about the web address, I'll ensure I double check in the future.

I understand your frustration regarding the cross-national issues, but if it's any consolation I am an American, albeit living in the UK, with UK and American qualifications. My point being Americans, Europeans and the rest of the world can probably work out when information being posted here doesn't seem to tally with their understanding of the information they need. Also, I note in reply to the one post I found where an American hadn't quite latched that this is predomently a British site, someone had actually put him right and explained this.

With regard to the garage, I believe your right and your comments are clear. I had also posted on this and became a little irritated with the reply to my post.....seems any one of us can have our buttons pushed given the right circumstances.

On the other hand, I suspect anyone taking advice from this or any other any forum source must do so at their own risk, I seem to remember a court case where this was established and if I can I'll track it down for you if your interested.

You know it's always irritating when someone challenges our knowledge, particularly when that person doesn't know us. I think having re-read the posts this is what's causing the problem. Each one of us has joined this forum, I assume to broaden and share our knowledge, whether or not we carry a paper qualifucation we all have something worthy of comment. Even a debate such as this one has something to offer in so far as it shows that even a simple question about power to a garage can start a heated discussion, but there are gems of info worth noting. David's comments concerning extension leads for instance, is useful in a number of ways for those that didn't know a roled up extension changes the electrical properties of the device.

When information is clearly questionable, like using an extension cord as a permanent supply to the garage, it seems the forum will take of that simply through the responses, these postings are evidence of that, besides I don't think the original post really wanted to know how to get a temporary supply, and I certainly wasn't promoting that in my first response.

On the other hand, I too have fallen into the trap of becoming irritated with someone elses posting, so as a repentant sinner I would suggest it's probably better if we try and avoid personal comments, after all we might need that persons advise one day.

So back to the garage, I suggest we just nuke that dame thing and start again , then we can suggest ways he could get power to it now that we know that's what he wants before he starts rebuilding it:)Merry Christmas guys:)

http://www.electrics.me.uk

Well said Loftus, and as a thought with a nuke you would'nt need the hassle of digging a trench for the armoured cable.

Merry Cristmas,

David Jones

Sponsored Links
Mr Jones, in response from earlier , you say I fall into the category of those people who get an answer to a problem and say yes that will bodge it because somebody has told me it will. WRONG I have been in the Building trade over 15 years, firstly with 5 years as a Roofer and the last 10 as a Joiner with my own Business.My point was , and I'll say it again because I think you skipped that bit , was that once the advice is given it is then entirely at their own risk if the advice is taken.If they have a few different views they can make their mind up on the result of that.Basically , if somebody says something can be done a certain way and then 3 people say " it's safe but I wouldn't " then it's up to them.And as for suspending the Forum, I say we just suspend you.Like the other guy said --Go do some DIY and stop intefering !! ( by the way the two other anonymous posters aren't mine- my last one was the one that called you long winded.

well that is honest of you and much apreciated, but it also takes us back to the point of i.d.
But as you misread I did point out that what you were saying is right in that fact that yes it is up to the person reading the post as to if they take the advice or not, and i dont care how long you have been doing what ever,but it was nice of you to say, my whole point is that there is no id (so you know who posted what) and also the fact that that you can not say exactly how to do....... because no matter how something is explained in words a picture works better, and also if for the sake of argument YOU (being a builder) say ....and cut the timber at 35 degrees, suppose they cut it the wrong way say right to left instead of left to right (No its a finished surface so you can't turn it around)

They will then get the hump with you (although they did it) because you said that is what should be done......or did you, as you have done you should read all posts slowly and correctly to make sure you have understood it before proceeding.

Have a nice day

is mr jones in the building trade,no he,s one of those people that can,t knock a nail in but picks fault with everyone elses work..we,ve all met your type before, as i said before go and put some shelves up.(thumbs up to the joiner)

Hello David Jones here (no surprise)why do you reamin annomous and only pick fault with myself? after all as i have mentioned you should take time to read the posts and understand them, not just as you would appear to do, have a knee jerk reaction, all my points are valid,and besides this is a free for all forum.

I do not "voice" my opinion on you, neither have most of the other posts, they dissagree with what i say, not who i am.

"Let he who have the first sin cast the first stone" or something like that.

Have a nice day

not wishing to get on my high horse (but i am going to)
Why are you all so afraid of saying what you do or even better still why are you so anonymous?

I have told you who i am, and if you figure it out what i do so why not those of you who ask.

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU DO?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back