why bother ?

hermes said:
paulbrown said:
particularly when they reproduce and quote tiny out of context details from months back. ?

Nothing to do with you not wanting to be reminded of something you said previously but which does not fit in with your current stance? :D

Remind away, my stance hasn't changed. You will only reinforce my comment about people holding grudges though if you do. :D

Sponsored Links
paulbrown said:
Any chance of changing your mind swelec?

Paul

This original posting was done with my tongue firmly lodged in my cheek :D :D

I must be honest though and say that the current direction of many topics recently has lessened any enthusiasm I and I believe many other posters have for contributing anything of value to this forum

The constant nit picking and dissection of posts line by line are tedious in the extreme

Sometimes I think that certain members write something with a thesaurus by their side, sit back with a smug grin on their face and think "what a clever person am I"

I am a constant reader of this and other forums but not a huge contributor and have noticed a distinct downward trend in the number of new threads and postings over the last couple of months

We should be encouraging new blood all the time to keep a vibrant DIYnot forum

The antics of a few people I believe is detrimental to the good of this very useful site

paulbrown said:
I find the ones holding grudges the worst, particularly when they reproduce and quote tiny out of context details from months back. Some regularly disagree with me on issues we have never even discussed before-purely due to my opinion on other issues.

Lights..........camera..........projection! :D ;)

Part of the problem is that, unlike say a pub, if you write something quickly and don't say exactly what you want to say, it is then down in black and white and people can, if they so choose, pick over and pick apart every single word within it.

That then leads to arguments not just about whole ideas, but down to individual sentences and words. In these cases we have two choices - All be a lot more precisee about the exact words we use in a post, or cut each other more slack re: the minutiae of posts.

I vote for the latter.

Sponsored Links
I’m now totally paranoid,
I now think people are talking about me behind my back,
And if people are talking about me it’s to late to admit it.
And I apologize if I’m just been paranoid.

Thank goodness for people like ban-all sheds I know when he is talking to me or talking about me,
And just for the record ban-all-sheds I agree with most of your comments in other topics. (Probably why I have never had a friendly debate with you before, Thanks)
Hopefully we can have another debate in the near future without others moaning.

But as I cannot shut up I have another comment,

I’m all for safety and improving safety,
I do not care much about selfish people (selfish motorists, selfish dog owner and selfish people in general); we have a country full of selfish people. People come first even the Selfish ones.

paulbrown said:
Remind away, my stance hasn't changed.
Then why are you concerned about people quoting what you have said previously?

You will only reinforce my comment about people holding grudges though if you do. :D

Why should I be concerned over whether or not I reinforce your comments, if I agree with you I may say so, If I disagree I may say so; but I don't do either to bolster your comments. Do you hold some kind of a grudge against me?

swelec said:
...The constant nit picking and dissection of posts line by line are tedious in the extreme...

bigthumb.gif

johnny_t said:
Part of the problem is that, unlike say a pub, if you write something quickly and don't say exactly what you want to say, it is then down in black and white and people can, if they so choose, pick over and pick apart every single word within it.

That then leads to arguments not just about whole ideas, but down to individual sentences and words. In these cases we have two choices - All be a lot more precisee about the exact words we use in a post, or cut each other more slack re: the minutiae of posts.

I vote for the latter.
What's wrong with taking care over what you say? Surely we should all strive to raise standards, not connive in their lowering, to be more articulate, not less, to think more about what we write, not less?

paulbrown said:
hermes said:
paulbrown said:
particularly when they reproduce and quote tiny out of context details from months back. ?

Nothing to do with you not wanting to be reminded of something you said previously but which does not fit in with your current stance? :D

Remind away, my stance hasn't changed. You will only reinforce my comment about people holding grudges though if you do. :D
Paul - do you have any evidence of people holding grudges, and using them in an "ad hominem" way, as opposed to remembering what you have said on certain issues, and therefore remembering what your attitude is regarding those issues?

"ad hominem" = "Attack the man, not the argument"

(for the benefit of people like me who don't know everything)

hermes said:
paulbrown said:
Remind away, my stance hasn't changed.
Then why are you concerned about people quoting what you have said previously?

You will only reinforce my comment about people holding grudges though if you do. :D

Why should I be concerned over whether or not I reinforce your comments, if I agree with you I may say so, If I disagree I may say so; but I don't do either to bolster your comments. Do you hold some kind of a grudge against me?
Here is my post in full.
I find the ones holding grudges the worst, particularly when they reproduce and quote tiny out of context details from months back. Some regularly disagree with me on issues we have never even discussed before-purely due to my opinion on other issues.

Having said that, there aren't that many people debating on here and even one less is too many.

Any chance of changing your mind swelec?

I haven't said i'm concerned in any way about anyone quoting me. I said.
particularly when they reproduce and quote tiny out of context details

Whether it concerns you is irrelevant but you have reinforced my comment. This is exactly the behaviour that swelec was talking about in the first post.

I never named anybody in repect to grudges either, so why do you think I may have meant I you?

scott1968 said:
Thank goodness for people like ban-all sheds I know when he is talking to me or talking about me,
And just for the record ban-all-sheds I agree with most of your comments in other topics. (Probably why I have never had a friendly debate with you before, Thanks)
Hopefully we can have another debate in the near future without others moaning.
Well if it comes to it, I hope so too. The fact that I may disagree with you on one topic does not mean that I automatically disagree with you on everything.

BAS, I don't have the time now as I'm going away for the weekend, I will reply later.

ban-all-sheds said:
What's wrong with taking care over what you say? Surely we should all strive to raise standards, not connive in their lowering, to be more articulate, not less, to think more about what we write, not less?

Nothing at all, and in fact a very noble aim. However, on an open forum like this, you will get people from all backgrounds and its not fair that the most articulate could in theory always bulldozer their way over the less articulate.

I'm not calling for a dumbing-down, just a cutting-slack.

ban-all-sheds said:
No - if that's what you do you are inadequate, dysfunctional, pathetic....

If that's what you do, just how devoid of any meaningful interaction is your life that you have to fill it by generating ersatz reaction?

If that's what you do, just how insignificant do you feel you are that you have to validate your existence by lying in order to get people to take notice of you?

Ah, no childishly simplistic labelling of people here! Can we say "hypocrite"?

Humour has a long, long tradition of being used to puncture pomposity, I suggest if you don't like it you stop being so pompous.

Sponsored Links
Back